Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Night Out

 We don't have a neighborhood night out party in our hood.  So I went to the Bird Lady's Night Out party.

They'd hired a mariachi band from Salem.   Someone brought a cockatoo. The bird was a bit worse for the wear.  But hopped onto shoulders, ran around following people like a dog, let out the occasional loud squawk and bobbed to the music.

The bird also likes beer.

Maybe its a parrot I don't know.  Or a cockatiel.  It's missing a lot of feathers so its kinda hard to tell.




 I stayed about an hour.  The music was great.   Watched people come and go.  I didn't know any of them, except the bird lady.   I can't recall just how many cats I took to be fixed from that small neighborhood but it was over two dozen.

Saw two more needing fixed, maybe four more while there.  Big huge apartments went in, at the end of their formerly dead end street.  Brought along new pet owners and already apparently abandoned pets.

I went to the reservoir as an escape mechanism today, just for a couple hours.  Was really too tired to paddle very far.  Laid in the water, swam awhile.   Sat in my kayak mind far away thinking how nice it would be if my brothers could share the tranquility of the lake with me some day.   I thought how once I went camping with my younger brother and his son and wife down at Waldo and what a production, probably an exhausting one, that was for them.  They all came very late Friday night although they had intended to get there before noon and left early Sunday, eager to get back home.   That was several years ago.   I realize its not their thing, not restful for them.    

Anyhow, I found this massive tree that had recently fallen into the lake, down the bank.  It was huge, maybe four feet or more in diameter.  I couldn't stop looking at its size.


Well, that was my day today.

12 comments:

  1. That is a huge tree. Sad that it is down.
    Not a cockatoo. And definitely the worse for wear. I hope it is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what kindof bird it is, maybe just a parrot. Yes, huge tree, big loss for it to fall felt like.

      Delete
  2. A party and a little lake time. Sounds like a good way to spend your days during your "vacation".

    ReplyDelete
  3. When our bird (now long deceased) started looking like that, it was time for the vet. When they start picking out their own feathers, there's a problem. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in good health, that bird. Seemed obvious to everyone there.

      Delete
    2. Except the owners, who were giving it beer? That would have spoiled the entire event for me.

      Delete
    3. The owner seemed oblivious to the birds ill health, that is true. It was hard to see.

      Delete
  4. The weather has cooled enough that I hope the lake wasn't too cold for you. I know little about birds beyond the fact that some of them molt, and so I can hope that the bird was molting rather than ill.

    I am finding it hard to read white text on a red background. I had an eye exam this summer and my glasses are as strong as I'm eligible for, yet I am having trouble reading more and more things. White on red is really hard though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lake is warm as a bathtub. I had forgotten all about bird molt, so maybe that was the issue.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I like the idea that this bird was molting. Or maybe he or she is really old and the beer is just a treat. Be well! Meanwhile, I'm going to suggest options for Snowbrush. :) Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I forgot about molting. I heard the owner say the bird is 35 years old.

      Delete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...