Tuesday, August 02, 2022

Done!

 Yesterday, the last three unfixed cats at the Crabtree colony were caught.

The first, a fuzzy white flamepoint boy, they caught in the morning.

I'd already headed early to the clinic with Hercules, the big male from there so he could be fixed.  And taken along Gizmo, the small gray and white kitten (only survivor of Daphne's first litter) she hand grabbed a few days ago.  He'd tamed fast and a friend of a friend who lost one kitten but had another, who was lonely for a playmate, took him.  Don't worry, it's all rescue connected.  Daphne, the muted torti adult female, was fixed last week and had been in heat again, at spay.

I drove out, when they caught him, and transferred him from the drop trap to a live trap.  Brought him home.  That wasn't long before I left to drive to the clinic again to pick up Hercules, fixed and vaccinated and parasite free now.

Just as I arrived at the clinic, another call--they had the torti teen under the drop trap.  I drove the back roads, once Hercules was loaded, to Crabtree, and transferred the teen girl out of the drop trap to a live trap.  I left Hercules with them, to recuperate there, and took the scared young female home.

I was dead tired by this time, had everything done except for setting up a cage in the bathroom so the teens could wait for their appointments (Thursday) in comfort.   I was just worn out I couldn't do it.  That's when the call came again.  Last teen caught.  It was about 9:00 p.m. I think.

The teens' mom was fixed last April, apparently days after her kittens were born.  

I drove out to get that last unfixed cat at the colony--a buff and white teen boy, transferred him, once there, from the drop trap to a live trap.  Happy!  It was over.  29 cats caught there since March and now finally, all will be fixed.

Of the 29, two were inside cats there, from the colony, taken in by them as kittens.  5 were kittens who did not return.  Some were likely males that only stopped by for sex last spring when I trapped then and went their ways after release.  Maybe there are 16 or 18 or so regulars outside.   

Anyhow, once these three teens get fixed Thursday, its over and done with there.  All fixed.  Finally.

I'll try to get better photos later today, when I do get the cage up and them in it, for their comfort.

She's a torti, but its hard to see the cream and orange

Buff and white boy, with the personality of his dad Hercules.   He's a tough one!

Fuzzy white, probably a boy too

18 adults caught first time around--last March and April.  Now this time, its been three more adults, five kittens and three teens.   

That's a wrap on that colony, once these three are fixed.   Feels nice.

It's back to break after Thursday when the teens are fixed, until second week of September.

8 comments:

  1. Well done. VERY well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad its over, except for transporting the three teens in my bathroom to Portland in the morning.

      Delete
  2. I can feel you exhaustion, but another job well done. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got a little run down from running back and forth out there, the weight of it, but now its just about over, just need to get the three teens to the Portland clinic in the morning.

      Delete
  3. Yay. Then time for a well-deserved new break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, new break for me! How's your break going?

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:15 PM

    It must be a good feeling to tick off a project like that. Of course there will be the next one but in the meantime, take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good feeling. But yes, there are more, like finishing the gas station colony.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...