Sunday, June 26, 2022

Overdid at Lake

 I went to the lake Friday.

It was afternoon when I went and I stayed only a couple hours.

I got the very last parking place for a single car and it was the farthest from the boat ramp but at least I got a spot.



I knew I couldn't go this weekend, because it would be crowded.  It was low 90's yesterday and may be close to 100 today.

Very windy.  I paddled across the arm and around the point, then followed, mostly, the shoreline down under the second bridge and on to Sunnyside, where there are swimming areas, a swim dock and the boat ramp for the campground.  I don't like to put in there at Sunnyside with my kayak or at the other ramp down from Lewis Creek because the ramps are long and very steep and it makes me nervous since my parking brake doesn't hold that well.  There are no kayak put ins anywhere around the lake, which is strange given the sheer number of kayaks and paddle boarders who now use the lake.  It would be so nice if there was a kayak chute type ramp with lots of car without boat trailer parking.

I was stopped by the deputies near the 2nd bridge.  They were checking to be sure I had the three required items--life jacket, state permit and a whistle.  I showed them the yellow plastic whistle I have and told them they had given it to me a few years ago.   They said now they only have blue metal ones to hand out now and they are not as good.   The state permit is for any water vessel over 10 feet and its now $19, up from $7 when the state first began requiring them, to fund who knows what, their retirement accounts I suppose.   It's not an easy task to carry and keep dry a little piece of paper aboard a sit on top wet all the time kayak.   I need to get it laminated. 

I knew the paddle back up to Lewis Creek and across the lake would be a trial, going into the wind and it was.   I couldn't stop to rest at all or I would be blown back and lose a lot of ground.  So I wore myself out getting back.

It was nice surprise when at the boat ramp about to pull my kayak up the ramp and out of the way, while I went and got my car from the far distant spot where it was parked when a young man associated with a motor boat offered to pull it up the ramp for me.  I appreciate help like that greatly.  I've popped my knee twice trying to pull it up the ramp.

Yesterday I was very worn out over the day before and mostly rested.  Why not, it was very hot outside anyway.    Today I'm rested and will be in my pool much of the day.  The water is a great temp in it now, since its been covered and I even had that silver reflective stuff over it.  I'd gotten it to insulate cat houses and also to block sun from the car but now its reflecting sun off the kiddie pool.

One brother's adult daughter now has covid, maybe over it by now.  They were visiting her right before she got it but haven't gotten it themselves.  The other brother's wife has covid again, second time for her and they hope he doesn't get it too.  She has mild symptoms and they hope to travel mid week to visit a daughter. She'll likely be over it if she isn't already.   It seems to be really going around, and hitting people whether vaccinated or not.

  


8 comments:

  1. I am very glad that you got your day at the lake - and that you have the pool as well. Covid is going gang-busters in my city at the moment. Hospitals and doctors are over loaded. So far I have escaped - and hope to continue that lucky streak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting the second booster. My older brother and his wife have both had the second booster but their adult child hadn't and she got it, even slept in their bed, that they slept in afterwards, as she was getting sick. They didn't get sick though. She did. So I think the 2nd booster might be the key in not being as prone to getting it. Like the people I trapped for recently. She'd just had knee replacement and he is over 70. Their grand daughter got Covid, who is ten I think, got it very bad, lives with them. Neither of them got it, however. Both had had the 2nd booster.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you received well deserved assistance. ~hugs~ The video is lovely. :) And I'm glad my melon story amused you. One thing you 'grow' is a happy cat colony. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when younger folk offer to help. I really appreciate the help a lot, so I don't hurt myself again, and also it makes me feel really good.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you needed to get out on the water. It's nice to be able to go on a weekday when you can. Too many people will crowd in on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's often a terrible mess up there on weekends, with cars parked all along the roads so you can barely get through, people drinking and screaming, drunk boaters, loud music, nothing peaceful about it on the weekends.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:04 PM

    The kayak is certainly doing some rocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was in a protected cove.

      Delete

Green Peter Drawdown Film

  A film made about the Green Peter reservoir drawdown.