 |
| This tree had recently fallen into the lake. Maybe after all the rain loosened the soil. |
I trapped 14 cats in all, at the Albany colony. Caring for them all, and going back to trap more, wore me out.
Fortunately a Lebanon lady arrived at 6:00 a.m. yesterday morning to load them and take off to the FCCO clinic. It was a big blessing. I went back to bed after helping load for a couple hours. Then, after dealing with lots of cat messages and texts, I headed to the lake. It's supposed to rain Saturday again.
The garage was a smelly mess, from the cats I'd held. And I was still very tired out. But I went anyway and had a good time.
There was algae in places and lake weed. Its common for this time of year. The level was already dropped by a few feet.
A sea plane landed, then took off twice. That looked like fun. Mostly it was motor boaters out fishing or playing.
When it was time to leave, since I had to be back to clean up the garage and take the cats back in for the night, when the lady got back from the FCCO with them, I went back to the boat ramp. I waited a long time, as boats both launched and pulled out. I waited for a lull. I get nervous getting my kayak out into my car after backing down the ramp because I've been yelled at by motor boaters a few times for being a kayaker using a boat ramp.
While I waited I took video of little fish in the shallow area beside the ramp, while sitting sideways with my feet in the water on the kayak.
Later I saw one fish in the video I didn't recognize.
 |
I think its a lamprey. It undulated like a snake.
|
Finally there was a lull and I went to get my car and backed it down the ramp. It only takes me about five minutes to load my kayak. Suddenly however, here came a truck pulling an empty boat trailer. A boat had come to the dock while I was getting my car. And the guy wanted to load the boat I guess. He didn't stop at the stop sign to wait. He pulled up ahead of the ramp I was on and began to back down, towards my car, the passenger side of it.
I was scared immediately. What was he doing and why. Was he going to try to shove my little car into the lake or what? Literally it takes me five minutes. I rushed, trying to get everything loaded in, got in my car, didn't even tie the kayak in. Still he backed another two feet til he was so close to the passenger side front. I honked to stop him. And took off cursing. I was afraid. I thought he must be one of those boaters who hate kayaks and think they have no business using a boat ramp. But I don't have any idea why he was doing that. I didn't know the man.
I still see yesterday as a good time at the lake. I'd rather go to Waldo though where there are no motor boaters and that would never happen. It never happens when there are a lot of kayakers and paddle boarders near the ramp either and it may have had nothing to do with any of that.
No harm, no foul, is my thought on it.
 |
| This was the 14th cat caught and fixed yesterday. |
I got home in time to clean the garage and put out new pee pads on the cat shelves. She arrived just after 6:00 with the 14 cats and we carried them into the garage. After she left, I got them all food and water. I was very very tired.
This morning I returned them. Well, all but one. That one is a kitten that I'd picked up there in the field beside their trailer and their parking area, fed him a plate of wet food, and then he followed me everywhere. I knew he wouldn't survive long. Too tame. Too many cars coming and going there. So he's in my bathroom and I hope I can find a rescue or shelter to take him. He's super sweet.
I was too tired to do anything but go to bed after I returned the cats. The traps and cage covers are still dirty. The garage cat shelves need cleaned again. Oh my, a lot of work. I'd forgotten how much work just trapping and holding a large colony can create.
No comments:
Post a Comment