Monday, May 23, 2022

Dryer Fail

 This really was a fail.  My dryer timer knob broke off.

It's not a break that you just try to find a new knob, or use pliers to turn the rod instead of the knob.

The plastic sleeve the knob fits over broke.

Darn little hard plastic piece and now I may have to replace the entire timer to be able to use the dryer.

Timer are not cheap.  Online, I see they're going for from $70 to $130.  Can you believe that?  

I can't glue it back together so it'd be strong enough.


That's the inside of the timer in the video I guess I should say.  I took it off the dryer to see if I could somehow glue together that plastic piece that broke somehow.  The plastic sleeve is also part of that central round white plastic piece, the crucial timer setter.  I doubt I could just find that.

Well, I do a lot of cat laundry here, and I need to get this fixed fast.

10 comments:

  1. big sigh. I hope you can find a quick and inexpensive solution. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:44 AM

    Keep studying it and after a night's sleep, something might come to you. Could you wire in an on/off switch if the timer is not essential?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like I could figure a way to bypass the timer and just turn it off and on, with a switch.

      Delete
  3. Do you ever look into Free Cycle or Pay Nothing, or similar groups? Maybe you could find someone giving away a dryer there. Sometimes when people replace their washer, they also replace a working dryer so they will have a matching set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last washer I got off craigslist for $100 and its still working. It was from the family of an older lady who'd gone into assisted living. It's awesome, an old Maytag. It's worked for a lot of years.

      Delete
  4. I hope you find a solution soon. Hanging a lot of things out to dry is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its not warm enough to get anything dry here.

      Delete
  5. I bit the bullet and ordered a new timer. Yikes they are expensive. I do need a working dryer however. It feels ridiculous because the only thing wrong with it is the broken plastic piece but because it broke, I can't use the dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice one of the cam levers is out of place. How in the world would that happen inside a closed box, I wonder. I've never taken it off before. Seems strange.

      Delete
  6. Yikes. That's too bad. They make it harder to repair anything nowadays.

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...