Thursday, October 21, 2021

I Wish I Was Younger

 I've had many cat calls lately.   Both kinds!   

I was up at the quarry outside Sweet Home yesterday and got cat called by a man living there.   I was a bit flattered, I must say.   I was also catching cats there and still tired from the trips to the coast, which wear me out for days, unless I get adequate rest up time, and I haven't.

I had to get the cats there yesterday being as how I'm supposed to be up in the sticks this morning by dawns early light, to try for as many as I can catch at the latest Lacomb colony.  The quarry cats will be fixed in Salem Friday while the ones I"m catching today, should I have any luck, will be driven by the property owners to Portland tonight to be fixed tomorrow at the FCCO.   

We have like 5 or 8 huge drenching storms headed our direction, which makes cat catching plans wobbly, and always unpredictable.  We may get as much as five inches by the time these storms leave Oregon alone.  8 inches maybe on the coast and down in southern Oregon/northern CA.

The woman at the quarry stuffed the young tame male into a trap inside my car, but got scratched royal when she tried that stunt with the tame young female.  So I trapped her and I trapped the three young wild kittens and I left Buddy, the big tabby boy alone, cause I can get him easy enough for Monday's appointments.  There's still a wild girl in the brush somewhere who needs caught and still the Siamese girl with two newborn kittens inside a trailer.  It's a homeless camp with half dozen maybe residents, allowed by the property owner.

The woman came, when I first got there, and told me I had to see what Buddy, the big laid back boy, was up to.  Well, here is what he was up to, giving comfort to the teens, letting them nurse on him.  Their mom is nursing her latest litter inside the trailer.  Buddy is very secure in who he is.


Later on, when I had four cats trapped and was hoping the little long hair wild kitten would come out of the brush to the trap, the cat caller said, set a spell, there's a chair right there.  I pulled a camp chair, lacking one arm rest, off the gravel and popped it into the form of a chair and plopped down.  I caught the wild long hair, but not the wild adult girl.  I came home with five cats, whom I set up in the bathroom and the garage.  And off I go this morning, to the Lacomb colony.

I got 3 kittens out of there Sunday, when I went up there first.   I set them up in a cage, gave them antibiotics Keithas Kitties gave me, headed to the coast clinic Monday and Tuesday KKR came and took them away to a foster lady.

These guys, they're all safe now.  This one is a little girl.

The gray one is the only boy of the three.  They tamed instantly.

He's safe and sound now, on antibiotics and I don't see how any of three could hear at all, with the earmites they had.

Off I go now, before I just stall out and stare at the wall all day.

If I were younger, would I be chomping at the bit to get going at dawn?  Or maybe not.  Maybe only an old fart like me would be out in the approaching storm at first light, eagerly catching kittens and spreading catnip.



4 comments:

  1. Hooray for the Buddy's of this world. Whatever their species.
    I am not sure I do want to be younger. I would settle for healthier.
    As always, thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wish I was younger. But right now I'm so glad I'm getting close to retirement.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you like the thrill of the hunt. And the world is a better place because of it.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...