Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Glutton for Punishment

 Off I went to the coast clinic again.   I just love to suffer!  Like marathoners.  Nobody suffers more joyously and predictably than marathoners.  

I left at 4:45 in the morning.  With only Vino.  Starry broke out of the carrier in a panic.  Poor baby.  She really needed to go, too, but there was no finding her after that.

Vino (he's Mopsy's sister.  Mopsy went last week with Storm and Tweetie to the coast).


It wasn't that quick of a trip.   First off I ran into a sudden stopped long line of traffic on highway 26 in the coast range.  After about 30 or 40 minutes waiting in that stopped line of traffic, here came an ambulance, lights on, headed off east.  After that, a few minutes later, the line of traffic begin to move slowly along and eventually passed a wreck.  A jeep or something like a jeep, lay on its side in the other lane, trashed.  I didn't see a second car but I was trying not to look and just move along, like the firemen there were directing.

After that I was stuck a few cars behind this psychotic pickup pulling a fishing boat.  He'd literally stop in the lane of traffic and did this over and over again.   Finally one car got a straight stretch and headed around him.  What'd he do?  Sped up to ungodly speeds to try to keep the car from getting around him.  Ah shoot, I thought to myself, wonder if he has guns in the cab too.  

Finally I got around him on a passing lane.  He'd slowed to 45, then a crawl, but of course he was up to 75 when I tried to pass him.  I just pedaled to the metal to leave that psycho in the dust.

I get to the clinic and check in Vino.  The wait wasn't bad even though they too are short staffed, like every business on earth right now.

I went out to the Ireland beach then, to eat an apple and watch the surf.   The tide was in more than last week and there were stupid cars driving around on the beach.  WTF, you know?   We have miles and miles of crowded clogged congested roads everywhere in Oregon and these freakazoids decide to foul the little strip of sand people want to walk on for some peace from all that car and city crap, in their cars.  Their cars should be confiscated and destroyed.  How sick are some folks?

I walked a way on the beach, then sat up on a log lean to, someone had built, and napped briefly.   By the way, don't be confused.  I call it the Ireland beach but its the wreck beach and the wreck of the ship Peter Iredale, not Ireland.  I just slip and call it the Ireland beach.

At some point, these two cruise ship tour buses showed up and spilled out tourists.










The creatures attached to the log rolled in with it on a high tide.  I found them last week (above video) high and dry on the beach but alive.  They're like aliens, have long necks, and these feathery finger like extensions.


This week, they were all dead and the flies were after them.

They are Pelagic Gooseneck Barnacles.Read about them here.

Before I went to the coast Monday, on Sunday, I checked out a Lacomb colony a Portland woman requested help with.  She and her husband own the property that a relative occupies but want to get thee 25 or so cats fixed.  They have FCCO reservations Friday for them, but work long hours in Portland at their jobs and needed help.  They're good people trying to do the right thing so I want to help them out.  

 They're not healthy looking cats, although the man feeds them well.  There are also mountians of old cat food cans everywhere, even paths of rusted flattened cans.  I've never seen anything like it.  I caught three sick kittens and set them up in my garage.  I figured they had a very poor chance of surviving even another week there.  Keitha's Kittie Rescue will take them today and provided some antibiotics, which have already helped, as I started them Sunday night, gave them before leaving Monday, for the coast and once back too.

With KATA history, there is so little help here in this county now.  People contact me about cats they see when driving the freeway or cats in parking lots from all over the county ignoring the fact I don't take in cats, just get them fixed.  I hope other groups form!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that interesting article about the barnacles. How fascinating folks once thought the so-named barnacle goose grew from these types of animals.

    I'm sorry about your frustrations on the road and beach. ~sigh~ Too bad we can't gather up all these a-holes and put them to work helping feral cats. It seems kinder than putting them down and out of 'our' misery. ;) In all seriousness, I do hope other groups form to assist. ~hugs~ Take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla. I really love looking at and learning about all the tiny little creatures in and around the water, ocean or river.

      Delete
  2. Despite all of the problems getting there and the crazy people on the beach, you got some really pretty pictures. It's nice that you have found people who trying to do the right thing with the cats on their property. Usually people who let the cats get out of hand have enough problems of their own that they are very difficult to deal with. Or so, I've learned after reading about your exploits for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:18 PM

    Another problem with driving on sand is that the sand is home to a multitude of tiny creatures and they simply get crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your busy lady. Glad you share your day with all of us.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...