Sunday, September 26, 2021

An Ode to Summer

Summer is gone.  Today rain returns to the valley.  

I think back on the days of summer.  Sure, we had heat waves and fires.  But I had a great summer.  My biggest joy was going to the lake, kayaking up the rivers or just relaxing on my floatie in the water.  I also enjoyed sitting by the river.  I didn't do much else.  I was supposed to take a break from cat helping, but I really didn't do that.

I took one short day trip to the coast with a friend that lasted only a few hours.  High winds cut it short.  But it was still beautiful.

The range broke and I went most of the summer cooking on a sterno stove.  No big deal.

Now I have a nice new range, although I still need to pull it out again, cut out the build up on the bottom, so I'm not cooking chest high.  I like the new range's storage drawer.  Now the pans that hung on the wall are in that drawer and so are their lids.  Easy!  The storage drawer is probably a foot deep, giving plenty of space for the pans.  It's so nice to have them and their lids in one easy spot.

I spent two weeks trying to keep two scrub jay fledgings safe, with the neighbors.

I had the knee injury, which was very strange and resolved rather suddenly too, but I'm still dealing with that and see the knee doctor again this next week, on a plan for its future.  In reality, both knees need replaced.   My brother is having his other knee replaced this winter.  He hopes by summer to be a new man, largely without pain and ready for an enjoyable summer, for a change.  I hope the best for him.

My car broke down again, what else is new, but its fixed and working.  For how long, I don't know. You roll the dice with an old high mileage car.

I lost dear Brambles this summer and Angel too.  Dear hearts, both.

I got so far ten more cats fixed at the park, even trapping during extreme heat, by going very early in the morning.  I caught the black mom and her three black boys behind the gas station in LEbanon and all went to a Keizer woman who got them homes.  And I caught the 13 kittens and 6 adults on 3rd in Lebanon, finding the kittens foster placements.  And I caught 19 in two locations in Cascadia, and only returned 2 of the 19.  Orphan Paw Project of Corvallis, a vet student group, took 15 of those kittens, and despite accusations that I make money grabbing little black hissing feral kittens to sell, I didn't, and in fact donated $1500 from HCC, $100 per kitten, to the student group, to make sure I was not overwhelming them with costs.  Many of the kittens had terrible flea and worm and malnutrition issues.  I never want to cause a rescue composed of future spay neuter vets, earnest and caring and busy, a burden.

It's been a great summer, for me, with my visits to the lake, and for the cats I've helped.  Sure there have been disappointments and sorrows but that's all part of life and you can't live without sorrows and troubles, unless you just hide out completely in a cave and that's not jumping in, to live life and do what you want to do.

No regrets here!  Onward to infinity!

I will now overwhelm you with summer photo memories. But this post is for me, to look at in the days ahead, during the long gray of winter.






























So long summer.  See ya again next year, if I'm lucky.

11 comments:

  1. You have some beautiful memories there, to revisit in the grey months.
    And a yes to sadness being part of our lives. Worth it though - because it so often comes from losing someone we loved. The love is worth that pain I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth it, EC, most definitely! Have a great summer to you, down under!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:56 PM

    The lake water is so amazingly clear. With strong seasons, there is always something to look forward to. As much as 22 degrees and sunny appeals, wouldn't it be quite boring day after day after day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would, Andrew. But our usual nine months of gray and drizzle isn't so pleasant, really. But I hope to find ways this winter to enjoy it. Our heat waves were all early to mid summer. After middle of August, we had a very mild rest of the summer, perfect actually. Even today, the forecast clouds have not come. 22 degrees and pleasant as can be again.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure we both will be around next summer. The wind here in North Idaho has picked up I hear possible rain coming. I don't think I made it into water much during the heat. Oh I did wade in creek up Mountains.
    Thank you for all volunteer you do.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the water, but I also love the beach, without going into the water, or just wading if warm enough, which it rarely is on the Oregon coast. I must think of some pleasant activities to drag me from the house when its raining and icky out.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful pictures of the lake. I understand why you like to go there so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only place I went this summer, outside of a half day trip to the coast. It's about a 35 minute drive up there, or so, so its not a time consumer to even get there. I realized how very very lucky I am, to be able to go, after meeting a Corvallis couple, who also like to kayak and swim and they bemoaned the distance to drive up from Corvallis. I felt very lucky thinking about it later. I don't have money to travel or even stay one night in a motel, so the lake is it and I"m happy its there.

      Delete
    2. I am so glad you have the lake. ~grin~ I'd love to share our local spots with you despite yours seeming so much more pristine. ~hugs~ Best wishes, my dear.

      Delete
    3. That would be fun, Darla, if I ever get your way, or you get this way....

      Delete
  5. It was over here in Texas for a few days, now it’s back

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...