Friday, September 24, 2021

Another Night Another Day

 First and foremost, number one importance, last night, I caught Misha, the 3rd kitten at the park.  There's still a tabby needing caught.   

I got to the park just at dusk.   I had the drop trap and set it up immediately.   I had my baby monitor camera and receiver and wondered if it would even work.  It didn't.   Its battery had not held its charge.   Oh brother.  Electronics!  I came prepared for that.  I hooked a power pack to it and then it worked.  During the course of the next several hours, I went through three power packs.

In the dark, Misha looks for all the world like a fluffy black tux.   

Misha is quite small and very darling.


I had a terrible fright within the first hour.  It was dark and a man was out in the dog park, after dark and then did not put his dogs on leash when leaving the dog park.   In a split second, one of the dogs spotted the kittens and dashed across the lawn area at them.  Two had been out in front of the drop trap and the dog was upon them like lightning.  I screamed and yelled from my car, kicking the car door open to exit and go after that dog.   I believe the drop trap saved the kittens, blocking the dog for a split second, giving them time.  But I'm not sure about the tabby, if it was hurt and got away, or what.  I never saw the tabby again last night, nor the fixed torti.  Who can blame them.  I was terrified, so how scared must they have been.  

I then turned on the dogs owner, who had zero control over his big black dog.   He made lame excuses but they were just flat out lame.  He'd violated multiple park rules, including being in the dog park after dark and having dogs off leash and out of his control.  He'd put those kittens in danger and he'd also set back my efforts for an hour, or more, like fuck you, stupid volunteer.  And the tabby and torti kittens never reappeared after that fright.  

Misha, bewfore I caught her

Of course TC showed up to eat his fill.  Again and again.

That's Tball on the right, the fixed boy kitten, waiting on TC, who is eating under the drop trap.

I gave up at midnight.  Never saw the kittens again after I trapped the torti tux kitten Misha.  I'd seen only Tball, the fixed male kitten, and Misha, after the dog event.  I left with Misha and was happy I caught her.  The place where I was parked became grand central station, I swear, with cars coming and going clear til the time I left.   A dog was tied up somewhere right above where I was trapping, but in the residential area, which was literally 30 feet from the trap, and any movement by me, or the cats or other people in cars, prompted his loud barking to begin.   

I climbed into bed at 1:30 a.m. and got up at 10:30 a.m.  9 hours of sleep isn't bad at all!

Next event was I went to Cascadia, not on a cat mission, on a dog one.  PAL, which stands for Prevent a Litter, asked me to take photos of the dogs at one of the homeless camps.   She'd gotten five dogs there fixed, after I hooked one resident up with PAL, for dog fixing, after fixing a bunch of cats there.  But there were more all over that camp and Cascadia needing fixed.  She's giving it her best shot.  She wanted the photos to help her create a fundraiser, to make money to get the dogs fixed.

So I did, got some photos of the dogs.  I stopped at a friends place in Lebanon and picked her up on the way cause she wanted to go.  We planned to stop at the lake on the way back, since the weather is so good today.  It will rain again by Sunday.

Here are some of the photos:











I didn't get any photos at the lake.   The water level is way down, but we still went swimming by the boat ramp.  I went on my floatie since it was in the car anyhow.   Oh my, the sun and water were so peaceful and relaxing.

Just another night trapping for kittens at the park and another day chasing the sun.  Happy weekend everyone!

16 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you caught Misha - and even gladder that you got to the lake.
    A happy (and peaceful) weekend to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. One kitten left to catch but that one will be the toughest, if it survived the dog event. Its not safe there for kittens.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:56 AM

    It is a hard call to judge whether neglected cats or dogs can survive better. If wild, I think cats do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tame cats will go wild in a short amount of time, if abandoned, distrustful of humans that is. Cats and dogs aren't the same, so dogs abandoned, sometimes form packs and can be dangerous, as can a hungry lone feral dog (one once tame or born to an abandoned dog). Cats gone wild are often not easily seen by those who don't know they are there and pose little threat to humans. Either way, cats have to be fed, even wild, to survive long and remain healthy.

      Delete
  3. The dog incident with the kittens sounds very scary. I can feel my heart thumping now just reading about it.

    It looks like the people in the homeless camp could use some help along with the dogs. I wish the best for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them there have Social Security, just no home. Cost of rent in Oregon is too high for many folk on social security. Or if you get one eviction on your record, you may never get another chance at having a place to live. Not here. Other folk there clean up the trailer mans' place and within two weeks, they told me, its filthy again. When I arrived in fact, a young man was shoveling trash out of the old man's front area.

      Delete
    2. It does shock me how many homeless folk, who live in fixed place camp trailers or parking lots in their RV's or cars, never clean them out, when there are campsite dumpsters lots of places. How does it get so bad you sleep and eat in piles of your own trash.

      Delete
    3. That’s a mental health issue. I sometimes get it but not always since I do clean up.

      Delete
  4. Off topic, but you should look up a cat on TikTok named Pot Roast. She has no teeth and doesn’t groom, but she’s a very loving kitty and her owner makes awesome little videos about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had several toothless cats. I'll check her out, sounds fun.

      Delete
  5. Untreated mental illness is the only thing I can imagine causing these conditions. It brings me to tears. How do you deal with these sights and so many rough encounters? ~hugs~ Best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's got to be true. Well, I deal with them because I can always see the other side's viewpoint, so I just chalk it all off to differences usually, of opinion or lifestyle, whatever. The dog guy saw no harm in letting his dogs run free, never has probably, probably thinks leash laws or anything else confining his dogs are silly and stupid. On the other hand, the dog can't tell a kitten in the dark from a distance from a rat or a dog treat or a rabbit or anything else, probably never seen a kitten, doesn't know it from a ground squirrel and was just doing its instinctual duty to go after something small and moving. As for the homeless man, maybe garbage is comforting to him. Maybe its soft under his feet, I don't know. maybe its just too much effort to pick anything up and do anything other than toss what he doesn't want to the ground near him, in case he might want it again, so its close at hand in case he does.

      Delete
  6. Hope those kitties got safely away from the dog and his fool owner and are "only" scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't see them again tonight either. Mom may have decided its not safe there, until middle of the night now or something. Don't blame her, it really isn't safe when people and their dogs are there.

      Delete
  7. Nothing wrong with volunteering. Homeless and animal population needs calling attention to. We all need to call the elephant in room, at times
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of problems in the world.

      Delete

Sun Coming

 Sun is supposed to come to us finally here in Oregon.   It's been pouring last few days, today included. At first, the weather stations...