Friday, April 10, 2020

Apocalyptic Behavior



After nearly two weeks here, without going to the store, I finally went yesterday.

I thought I had it together.  I had my homemade mask.  I had my foaming pump soap.  I had some rubber dish gloves.  I had a pee pad to put in the bottom of the cart.  I had a plastic bag in my purse to receive dirty money (as change).  I do launder dirty money.  In my sink full of sudsy water.  I don't iron it yet.  I haven't gone that far into apocalyptic psychosis.  Not yet.  I had my Grocery Outlet heavy duty reusable plastic grocery bags, freshly washed and disinfected.  Thumbs up for me!

I shopped, for food items, wet cat food, and a laser pointer, for the cats, since I had only one left and the batteries are nearly dead on it too.  I was at Walmart, where no carts are cleaned before you take one.  If you want your cart clean you need to do it yourself.  And where most employees do not wear masks.  I went at 10:00 a.m., the time I've found few customers there.  That picks up about 11:00 a.m.

But by check out, my sterile procedure shopping fell apart.  I have to weigh vegetables on a self checkout that likely has not been cleaned between uses.  The last time I was there, an employee hovered near to clean it the moment I left but not this time.  I saw no cleaning going on between customer use of a self check out area.  Where were my self made clorox wipes?  Gosh darn I'd forgotten them.

 I dropped my list on the floor twice.  I dropped an item I was trying to scan on that floor.  The checker came up to me and said "There's almost no one here, take your time, don't worry."  So I took my time and finally got checked out.  I'm good for a couple weeks more now.

At home, I washed everything, I think I did anyhow, took off that hot mask and threw it in the wash.

I went to check my mail.  I only check it once a week now. What's the point?  I get bills and junk mail.  That's it.  Why would I be eager to find a bill in the mail?  So I put off the mail check at the lock box across the street.  I saw a neighbor lady out in the yard.  I hadn't seen her in a long time and shouted a greeting from half a block away.  She acted suspicious.  I should have taken that as a "Get the Fuck Away" but I didn't take the clue even though I was so far away from her  I couldn't have thrown a rock and had it come close to her.

I ask how she is.  And she tells me "good" and she tells me she goes shopping with her daughter and asks if I"m well, all suspicious like.  "I'm not sick," I assure her.  She says the people next to me are out and about way too much.  I think to myself, 'ok maybe I should just go back inside now."  She tells me how happy she is I removed the white lattice piece I had out front in my yard between two poles, set in five gallon buckets.  I don't say that I put that up originally to block her view of me, from her window to mine.  She continues on that I need to get rid of those poles now in the buckets.  I try to say they're set in deep and its hard to dig them out.  "Well you need to do that, because I have to look at them," she spouts on, with a sarcastic rueful giggle.   Shit, I think.  I don't say another word, but I have a lot of thoughts.  They're not good ones.

I felt dirty after I got back across the street and home.  I saw myself as she must see me--a crawling sea of writhing germs and with an unattractive yard to boot.  I looked at my cats, as they scratched at themselves, licked their butts and shook cat hair, dander and, likely----GERMS! out into the air I walk around within and breath!  Holy germ farm!  I got out the clorox and the mop and the bucket and went to town on my place, that I'd just cleaned two hours before.  "Don't lick your butt," I yelled, startling little old Shady, like any cat would ever listen to the likes of me. 

I made my own air cleaner.  My older brother and I had talked often about my need for an air purifier here with all the cat hair and litter dust floating around, how that compounds my allergies, particularly my dust allergy. I used to wear a dust mask when cleaning but you can't buy those now anywhere so I resort to using a bandana.  I was looking at the air purifiers again online.  They're so expensive and then once you get one, filter replacement is expensive.  I thought, 'I'm just going to jump over to Youtube and check out DIY's.' 

Sure enough, here's an earnest guy in a white lab coat with some sort of measuring device, and several air purifiers.  He dutifully measures the output air for various things on each, then switches to check the output level of a purifier he made, from a box fan with a Merv 13 HVAC filter taped to it.  Readings are pretty much the same as the air output from the most expensive air purifer.  Ah ha!

I bought one of those cheap 20x20 box fans at Walmart and also a 16x20x1 filter.  They didn't have 20x20 ones, which would have completely covered the fan.  Here's the result.  I like it.  I have the fan hanging off the upper bunk, so the cats can't knock it over and a whisp of dust could knock over those unwieldy fans.  Air purifier for under $25.

I also have too many extra carriers, since I am no longer housing and transporting cats.  So I got another carrier shelf.  This four shelf plastic unit was also under $20.

Later in the late afternoon as the sun was crawling down toward the horizon, I met my friend in a parking lot at Lowe's.  She had wanted to have coffee, her in her car, me in mine, a parking space apart, to at least have some conversation.  Her husband is driving her nuts.   Lets face it, being confined to a small space with a difficult man, isn't an apocalyptic utopia.

We were going to Dutch Brothers, her in her car, me in mine.  But the line was incredibly long, so she texted me to meet her in the Lowe's parking lot, to go get a drink somewhere.  I went to 7-11.

Some convenience stores, the usual one I go to anyhow, are very good about cleanliness and distancing and have up now plexiglass shields between customers and clerks.  My usual place has Vita Water, berrry tinted, by fountain.  I love that stuff.  I go to that store for a small number of food items.  They sell prepared small pizzas, milk, ice cream, frozen burritos, etc and its safer to go there, with limited customers and an OCD owner.  I like OCD store owners now.  I like them a lot.  But my usual store was too far away.

Walking into this particular 7-11 was like walking into an opium den.  Or a packed dimly lit brawling smokey bar on Star Wars. It was crowded, and nobody was distancing.  There were no sneeze guards, no masks and people stared at me with mine like I was from another distant world they didn't recognize as real.

I should have turned and ran.  But I got a drink, plunked down money then ran.

I left the change.  I didn't want dirty money from this place growing things in my purse.

My friend and I sat there in the light of the dying sun, in a parking lot, her leaning against her car, me sitting with the door open in my front seat facing her, a parking space inbetween us. We chatted and laughed for 20 minutes or so.  It was like a grand outing, like sneaking into the bathroom in high school for a smoke with giggling coughing friends.  Not that I did that in high school.  I was a good little girl, too good.

My brother called me later.  The younger one, down in no virus county, southern Oregon.   The county below them now has cases, and they came up to his county, to my sister in laws hospital, where she works, to be tested.  "Do you think they infected anyone when they came up?" I asked.  He said he sure hoped not. 

His wife asked about how my new partial denture fit and I told her I can't wear it because its too tight on one tooth it clamps to, so tight it hurts to even wear it now.   It didn't hurt for a week after I got it, but then the pain began on the one good tooth it clamps too, but at first it was only when I ate.  But the pain progressed to even when I wasn't eating.  I was about to come on down, I told her, to get the fit adjusted, when my brother had let me know the dentist had closed his office due to the virus and the fact they can't do anything but emergencies now.

At first last night my brother said, "Call em up, its an emergency."  I was enthusiastic and said "You think so?"  He said "yeah, they have no business and are advertising on the radio that they can do emergency work."  I said "And I'm tremendously bored so I'd love to come down."  My brother said, "you could stay the night, we'll have a bonfire out at the fire pit."  Finally I said, "But I'm from a Covid county, I could be exposed and not even know it and bring it down there.  I can't risk that."  They both conceded it couldn't happen.  The excitement faded.

We've had more deaths here, and more cases pop up.    I sure won't be stopping by 7-11 again.

I need to up my apocalyptic procedure.

I want to free roam.  I want out of my cage.  I want to swim in the lake.  I want to howl at the moon with a pack of wild friends.

Me, now, in this time.






17 comments:

  1. Nice coordinating of your shirt and mask colors :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you think so? I want to make some creative masks now. I'm not so good with hand sewing (no machine) but I may try my hand at embroidery. I want some awesome masks!

      Delete
    2. That's a dish towel, or was, now a mask.

      Delete
    3. The ties were once a belt.

      Delete
  2. Masks are rare here. We are told only to wear them if we are sick.
    I like yours though. A lot.
    Our stores are pretty good about distancing and these days only let a few people in at a time. A few people to browse empty shelves.
    Hooray for coffee dates...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't run into any problems with empty shelves for anything I needed, not so far. I don't need much of anything for just one person. I find I'm eating a lot more vegetables than I ever did. I got some bokchoy, asparagus and I had some spinach already. I saw this recipe for an oriental salad on a very very old cooking show. You chop those vegees up to about dime size pieces, lightly saute in sesame oil, although I had none so used olive oil, add sesame seeds, toasting those first I should say, and season to taste. You eat them over sticky rice, which is cooked with equal parts rice, coconut milk and water. Very tasty and easy dish.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:26 PM

    We have all become paranoid about germs. I find myself washing my hands so frequently at home when I haven't been out. There is no logic to it. You are being very careful. You will be fine. Be careful the filter on the fan doesn't cause it to overheat without normal airflow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. I ran out of hand sanitizer two weeks ago, so I just use soap now. It irritates my hands and face far less than the sanitizer did. I keep that fan on low and I let it run four hours, checking the motor for excess heat. Motor remained cool. Now I run it all night on low and still no heat build up, so maybe its ok that way.

      Delete
    2. I showed my husband your air filter and he said that he has seen those regularly recommended for wood shops to help with fine sawdust. I assume that means that they work okay without overheating. But just the same, I'm glad you checked.

      Delete
  4. Hello from Idaho and stop in from High Riser. Wow I have brown shirt like that, and I see your wearing a mask I wish more people around here would.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get it at Walmart? That's where my shirt came from, but about ten years ago. HIgh Riser is a very kind guy.

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a rude neighbor. I'm glad you got to enjoy a little company. ~hugs~ That air filter is awesome and your mask is cute. So is your hair. I love the color. Stay safe and sane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not one to hand out compliments, I'll have to say, nor to say nothing rather than insult. I'm done with that. My brother even took out the Cottonwood to stop her complaining about it when I first moved here. At this point, I realize there's nothing will please her. Thanks on your compliments, really appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. I went to Walmart last night for the first time in several weeks. Most of the employees were wearing masks, you were only allowed into one entrance (this is a smaller Walmart) where someone was counting the numbers of people going in and out. On every single aisle in the store there was tape on the floor every six feet. Many people had masks on (including me) and practiced social distancing, though not all. You did have to clean your own cart, but supplies were available.

    My husband has some dental work that needs to be done as well as a toothache neither of which is considered an emergency. He got some recommendations for mouthwash from the dentist and told he was on a list for sooner appointments when they are allowed to open back up. I heard a podcast yesterday about what is considered a dental emergency. Basically, it is anything that is life threatening like a mouth problem that prevents you from breathing, a knocked out tooth from some other kind of injury, etc. So the dentist was right, my husband does not qualify. And sorry to say, you probably don't either. But they might have some suggestions on something you can do. I'd give them a call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think its fine at Walmart. The clerks there have always been exceedingly helpful and kind, has been my experience long term. I hope your husband can get that tooth fixed. Toothaches are not fun I can say from great experience. He made me promise when I got it I would not try to adjust it myself. I must have had that look about me, that I'd try to adjust it on my own. He said I could ruin or break it. So I did promise and I will wait. He thought it would likely need the fit adjusted on the clamps.

      Delete
  7. Nice to see what you look like 💗

    ReplyDelete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...