Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Changing

The virus is changing me.

I have not been to a grocery store in.....well it will be two weeks in two days.

I was going to go yesterday but then decided I would not go because my list was not complete of what I might need for the next two weeks and I didn't want to waste a trip with a half made list.

In my previous life, I might run to a grocery store for even two items.  I wonder if I'll ever be that way again.

I've had some help though--Lisa and her daughter who live up in Sweet Home left me two dozen eggs by my door a few days ago, from their chickens.   Eggs will last a long time.  I don't eat more than two or three eggs a week, usually not that many.   To test an egg, to see if its still good, you just drop it in a glass of water.  If it sinks its good if it floats its no good.

I made this German pancake the other morning with a couple of the eggs.

I rarely drive either now that I am no longer working.

Sure I miss working, but I'm not as brain frantic over the loss as I thought I would be.  I was at first, but acceptance came, and I know there are some things I have no control over at all.  Actually I have little control over most things.

My sister in law and brother who both lost their jobs with the outbreak have been stressed over future financials as one might imagine.   My sister in law is younger than my brother and has well over a decade of work life left.  My brother decided his options going forward are quite limited and applied for SS.  I don't know when he'll get it since everything now moves at a snails pace.

As I've mentioned before, my younger brother's life has been unaffected by all that's going on since he lives in a tiny town in a relatively sparsely populated area and the area is still without any virus at all.

Here in this county, the cases of known positive (tested people, and its still very hard to get a test), inch upward but still remain under 60.  Three people have now died at the Veterans Home in Lebanon of corona.

As of Monday morning, I believe I read that in Oregon, 400 are hospitalized with the virus with 82 or so of those on respirators.

The media push the state for data, whine and complain for it, when I don't see the specifics they want disclosed in any other state.  I could be wrong.  There are lots of details I don't need to know or see in the news, quite frankly.  Do I need to know how many people are on ventilators in Oregon due to the coronavirus?  Nope I don't.

Things I'd like to see?  The Tulip festival.   The daffodil farms.   The strawberries ripening down on Seven Mile at my favorite farm there.   My sister in law said she relented on the wait for Oregon berries and bought some California strawberries which may  as well be cardboard compared to fresh Oregon strawberries.  She and I both live for berry season.   I don't know if they grow strawberries in Idaho where they live now like they do here.   I wonder.  I'll ask her next time we chat.

I hope that farm opens its stand down there on Seven Mile by June with nice fat ripe red strawberries.  I dream strawberries by this time of year.

It's all I think about this morning, for some reason.  You should see them though, you'd understand.  And taste them!

 

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:40 AM

    Maybe not this year, but you will taste strawberries again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have their fields planted with berry plants so I hope they can harvest and sell them. I don't see why they couldn't. Their stand is really small and if need be they could do a drive through with it.

      Delete
  2. it looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very wise to realize that this is something you have no control over and make the best of it. Being out of work for you may be a blessing. It will give your body time to fully recover from the various things you have endured while rescuing cats.

    Strawberries are wonderful. Now I'll be thinking about them all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose so, on the resting of all my joints. I don't have much longer in me to trap, anyhow, but I do hope I'll get the chance again. People around here depend on me for that. I can't wait for strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. My four favorites!

      Delete
  4. I've cut back on my store visits, but still manage to pop in once or twice a week. We eat a lot of fresh produce, and I can't figure out any way to buy enough to last a significant amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough on the fresh food front, that's for sure. I am eating all the mustard spinach growing around my yard now for salad. Beats weeding it out.

      Delete
  5. Our local grocer put strawberries on sale, so my husband added them to our pickup order. Of course they won't be good as right off the farm, but hopefully the store won't be out before our order is ready on Monday (we're willing to wait and avoid going inside for now). Beautiful eggs! Bet they're tasty, too. Be well, my dear, and best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lady dropped off a bag of spinach tonight. She'd accidentally ordered three bags, by forgetting she ordered one place, then ordered also from another. I cannot afford grocery delivery, so right now I'm happy to have some eggs and a bag of spinach delivered by friends who had extra. Because I don't really want to go to the store.

      Delete
  6. I am mostly loving the quieter, simpler life. And hope that it does set some habits in place.
    Fresh berries are something else aren't they? And are yet another thing which tastes so much better either direct from the farm or from your own yard than anything a supermarket sells.

    ReplyDelete

Green Peter Drawdown Video

  A video made about the Green Peter reservoir drawdown.  Will it help at all?   I don't know.