Tuesday, February 25, 2020

The 15 Fixed Sunday

I always feel I must have photos, a record, of the cats I take to be fixed.

In part I feel their stories need part of the world, so they count, are known.  But why would I want them known I wonder to a world of humans.  Maybe so humans can see, that other lives struggle exactly as we do, to survive, to eat, to love.  We humans have created religions that protect us from belief that anything matters but humans, that we alone are special.  This makes us gleeful and feel protected in destroying everything else, including other forms of life.

I suppose that last statement is not entirely true.  It is not just religion that makes us destroy all in our path, its instinct, that we will do anything to survive as an individual.   Unchecked, however, our species has the capacity to do ourselves in, and take much of the planet's shallow surface, and its living capacity, with it.  I figure in the end, hopefully long after I'm gone, humans will do that and go extinct, or mostly so.

So I don't really know why I take their photos or record their stories.  But I do.

Here are the 15 cats fixed Sunday at the FCCO in Portland.  They are all back home now.  I also delivered two large bags of cat food with them to the homeless camp and another bag across the river to the old woman caring for 8 cats, seven of them now fixed.  Oh wait, not 8 anymore, because she asked if I could find homes for some, since she is in ill health and broke and living in a camp trailer.  So when I took back the gray tux fixed Sunday, I took her a 28 lb bag of cat food and brought Felix, a little boy I took to be fixed a couple months back, brought him back home.  He will be the first to find another home.

This was their boy who was fixed Sunday and went home yesterday.
This is Felix, who was fixed a couple months back.   He's headed to Portland Thursday.
From the homeless camp/junkyard proper, these 9 cats returned yesterday after being fixed Sunday.  The four boys first:

Black and white


Now for the five girls:






Four of the other five cats fixed came from one Lebanon location.   A friend of mine, whom I know from catchiing cats to be fixed that she fed, had four more show up.  Two were left behinds, when the neighbors house burned down almost across from them.  I can't say they're sad to say goodbye to those neighbors.  They tried to help four other cats those people got as kittens, then threw out of the house once older and unfixed.  I was not shocked to hear those neighbors of theirs had more unfixed cats nor that their rental place burned nor that they would not try to come back for the cats who survived the fire.  Anyhow, the two lucky boys who survived it got fixed Sunday.  Plus two other males who had showed up.





And the 15th cat, was from Waterloo, another from there.  The residential colony lady had four more show up a few months back--three boys a girl.  I got one boy fixed, then the girl and now the third was fixed Sunday.  Need to catch that final boy though there.

They were both tame, this guy and his orange tabby brother, the first I got fixed of the four latest to show there.  Likely they were dumped in town or at the park.   One to go, of the new shows.
So that's it, those are them, the 15 fixed Sunday, well traveled they are, been to Portland, the big city, they have.

5 comments:

  1. I, for one, am very glad that you name them, restore them from anonymity AND give them a chance for a better, longer, life.
    Thank you. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fifteen cats is a lot for one day, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all beautiful. I wish they could all have forever homes. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's important that you take pictures and name the cats you get fixed because it makes the need to fix and take care of cats more real. And that may get more people involved in the cause or at least make them think twice about the situation. When someone just hears a few words or numbers, it's much easier to not pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot word my opinion better than EC or L&L. ~nods~ Civility in humans is a very thin veneer, but I wish you witnessed more of the kindness that seems to proliferate in my community. ~hugs~ For example, I sometimes see a kitty or two wander by when it's nice enough to sit outside. Some are friendlier than others, but I know for certain that most of these few wanderers have names and specific caretakers letting them have an indoor/outdoor life. That's not ideal considering the growing coyote population, but I don't judge because we used to let all three girls out. Hmmm... On that note, there's a community website whereupon I could post a warning. At any rate, thanks for all you do. ~hugs~ And take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...