Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Longest Day

I had a long day yesterday.

But it was fun, in some ways.

Karen came down from Portland after volunteering, on a TNR group, to trap a Sweet Home colony and get them fixed at the FCCO.

I went up to the colony Friday night and left the man five traps to begin.  He had the first five by 8:00 a.m. yesterday morning.  But I was in Lebanon by 8:00, to try to trap a female, the last adult needing fixed in her colony, and her latest five kittens.  I'd left the drop trap set up over there and the lady fed under it faithfully for a few days.

Who'd know it would be so easy in the end.  All five kittens and the mom went under the trap at the same time.  I yanked the cord, from my car, pulling the stand out from under the drop trap.  The trap dropped over all six of them at once.  Then I transferred them out of the drop trap to individual live traps one by one.

By this time Karen was almost to Sweet Home.  So I went home and transferred the six Lebanon cats to a cage I'd set up for them.  I met Karen at Shari's in Lebanon for breakfast and put the five cats caught in Sweet Home in my car.  Anyhow, during the course of the day we caught 19 cats in all (so far) at the Sweet Home colony.  We visited another colony less than a mile from that one.  That one needs trapped too for fixing.  We visited a new colony along highway 20 just outside Sweet Home with over 30 cats needing fixed and Karen told them to put four of the tamest kittens in a carrier. 

Karen went to take a nap in a parking lot.  How does that sound familiar. Just as I left her the Egg Place folks called, said they had 8 caught.  8?  I went over and let out the big male in their large trap because I had no room in my car for that.  The other seven were six kittens and a year old orange tabby male.   I put him in a trap, once home, set up 8 cats from the Sweet HOme colony, with food, put three of the Egg Place cats in a cage, and left the other three in Karen's carrier.

To make a long story short, Karen headed north with 19 cats in all, back to her Portland home.  Today, those 19 will be fixed at the FCCO.  I have one of the 19 caught at the Sweet Home River Road colony in my bathroom, as he's just five weeks old.  And I have the six kittens from the Egg Place colony here too, as we try to figure out a solution for them.  Four of the six have URI's.  We hope to find them house cat placements or rescues or shelters that can take them.  The Egg Place folks are overwhelmed. 

The six from Lebanon will be fixed Monday at Heartland.

It was one of those 32 cat days.  These are the 8 River Road Sweet Home cats I had in my garage during the day yesterday.  Ten more plus these 8 are being fixed today at the FCCO, plus the orange tabby from the Egg Place colony.








 Here is the lone Egg Place colony cat who went north to be fixed:


Egg Place colony kittens still here, at least I have photos of five of the six.

This little one is so darling and lovable.

This torti is very sweet too

The flamepoint is a boy, then one tabby is a girl, the other a boy.  All have runny eyes and colds and are underweight.
Well anyhow, today I'll pick up anymore the N. River Road colony folks traps, to be fixed somewhere, not sure where, and pick up the 19 cats fixed today, this evening, for return tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. 32 cat day!! Wow. Glad you and Karen took a little break to have breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The omelette was very good. Spinach, avocado, very good food.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:26 PM

    Wow. You must be making a significant impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think but I kind of doubt it. Maybe on that road at least.

      Delete
    2. I don't know how you summon the energy. ~hugs~ And thank you! It's like that old saying, every little bit helps, and you do a LOT.

      Delete
  3. Good work everybody !

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...