Monday, November 25, 2019

So Long Kittens

The three kittens I trapped last week at the Egg Place, one on Tuesday, two more on Thursday, moved on with their lives Saturday.

I took them up north to a foster with Animal Rescue and Care Fund, for now at least.  The tamest little boy is scheduled to board the Kitten Caboose Wednesday.  The other two also had URI's but got on antibiotics.

The other two hopefully will do the same later on.


Little boy, cold is better, now in Portland.

And the little girl, who had the worst cold, also now in Portland
With those three, made 16 cats helped there already.  11 of those 16 did not return, largely thanks to Karen in Portland for scrambling up ways to get them into shelters.

So what did I do Sunday?  I trapped four more out there at Egg Place.

One of those is an adult female they call No Toes, because when young she got her back foot caught in the V of a small tree, and hung from it, upside down, all night.  They cut the limb to get her down, but she lost some toes on one back foot as a result.

I had those four cats in traps in my car, plus a tame female connected to the Lebanon colony (once was a kitten there and now with a relative), when I got home.  Before getting out I looked in the back of my car, and omg, No Toes was loose.  How in the world did she escape a Tomahawk trap, from the front no less, not the transfer door in back, which was clipped. She bounced around the car for a few minutes, even jumping off my shoulder at one point.  I  turned the trap around, that she'd been in, reset it, covered it, shoved it near the back and herded her, very casually, that direction.

She settled down a bit in the very back of the car and I pushed the open trap door towards her, then tossed a towel over her and the open end of the trap, climbed into the back and pushed her, through the towel, back into the trap.  Whew!

This is her, out at the colony, before I caught her.
The other three I caught are just over kittenhood age, and probably Kitten Caboose candidates.  So now those three occupy my much used bathroom foster room.

Today I'm taking 8 cats to be fixed at Heartland including NoToes, the Lebanon girl, Marshall, originally from the Lebanon colony, 3 cats from Brownsville and 3 from Albany, including Boomer, whom I caught originally as a wild kitten up at another Sweet Home colony.  He's been with a friend ever since and I think they are keeping him.

This town where I live is infected with some stomach virus.  They don't say Noro virus in the paper articles, just that its some very serious virus.  It has sickened hundreds, with some ending up in the hospital.  So I'm carrying my hand cleaner and will stay away from public places as much as possible to keep from getting it.   Does not sound fun.


10 comments:

  1. Oh, take care of yourself! And thank you for caring for these precious creatures. ~hugs~ Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Houdini No Toes.
    Glad she didn't panick while wandering round the car.
    And, as always, thank you for all you do.
    I hope you can escape that virus. Completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did panic at first, but not bad. I have a superstition about her now though, that's she's smarter than I am, which is probably correct, so will be happy to get her home today.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:58 PM

    You make it sound so easy to get No Toes back into the trap in a car. I think it would be quite hard on you physically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I "herd" a cat back to where I want them, benignly, nothing physical at all. Just had to wait for her to calm some, then get the trap reset in the back and make her want to go in it to hide from me. No cowboy chasing down, I never do that, it is stupid. My car is super easy for me, in its layout, to get into the back, so it wasn't hard at all.

      Delete
  4. Are things any quieter at your house with three kittens gone? Stomach viruses are the worst. I hope it doesn't come your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have three more, this time teens, from same place, in the bathroom. One has tamed fast and will move on next week. The other two, not so much, but trying hard to find them a placement so they don't have to return.

      Delete
    2. Am wondering if all the food sharing and get togethering at Thanksgiving will only make things worse on the virus spread here. I hope not. They closed all schools for the rest of the week.

      Delete
  5. Take care of yourself...the cats need you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I try! Got a great night's sleep last night.

      Delete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...