Sunday, October 06, 2019

Unexpected Morning in Sweet Home

I thought I was just going to trap three teens, who needed fixed, up in Sweet Home.

I was loopy when I got up, wanted to sleep longer, dazed and confused I suppose.

I got to Sweet Home late, after loading the drop trap and three live traps into the car.   And after driving halfway there with the gas tank empty yellow light nagging at me.

Darn that thing.

Dead end street, nice little house, a wooded area beyond it that separated her from the backs of houses on the next street by 50 feet or so.

The scene however soon turned into a circus and I was the main act.  The old lady of the house came out.  Her daughter was there, the one who had contacted me.  The neighbor lady came over.  Neighbors from across the street suddenly appeared in partial states of dress.  But the most amazing--there's a care home behind the neighbors place, on the next block.  Suddenly, a young woman appears  in the neighbors yard, to watch and ask questions.  I turned to the daughter and asked who she was and where she came from, because it was like she just appeared from thin air.

"Oh," the daughter said, "she works at the care home and jumped the fence."  My mouth gaped open.  That fence looked four feet and she just leaped over it like she was a deer.

And there were far more than three teens.  There were three kittens about five weeks of age, looking scrawny and hungry.  Adults of various ages watched me from the field by the woods and from under cars.  I had set up the drop trap and was now guarding the food dish under it and trying to call anyone I could think of in Sweet Home who might have more traps.

I gave that up, and trapped two teenish adults, transferred them out into two live traps, then put the traps end to end in my car, and transferred one cat in with the other so I'd have two empty traps left.  In the meantime, as I had the drop trap set up again, with me in the car and the string that would drop the trap over the cats, when I yanked it, running through the window.  Up pulls Lisa, a KATA volunteer, with her daughter, and hands me a carrier and a kitten trap.  Well, not a lot of help, but all she had.

I pulled the string to drop the trap over two more small adults and one of the three kittens and came home with that.  The kitten was a little scared, once I was home, but anytime I'd leave her, she'd scream.  So I held her and finally put her back in with two of the adults I' d by then transferred into a cage set up in the garage.

In the meantime, I was messaging and emailing and texting away, trying to find her a place to go.  There is no need for a little kitten to grow up feral.  A new Portland group messaged me, said to text them, they were on their way back up north, after picking up cats in Canyonville.

Wow!  Great Timing for this little gal.  I met them at the Arco on I5 and 34 and handed over one sweetheart of a kitten.  Onward to a better life, kitto!

This is her, the lucky one

This is one of the other two, still there


Well, I don't how many are left to catch and need fixed.  I'll take enough traps this time around and I might hold those over my 7 cat fix reservations limit for Monday until they can be fixed. 

7 comments:

  1. Maybe next time you can charge admission to your show. You seem to be quite a draw. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hmmm, wonder what would be a fair charge!

      Delete
    2. It's usually kids, who want to help and I usually let them. I remember way back, before my back surgery, when I could barely walk, a group of kids helped me carry traps at a local trailer park. I appreciated the help greatly.

      Delete
  2. They came out of nowhere didn't they? Except that it isn't nowhere. They came because people don't live up to their responsibilities and expect you to.
    Well done (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:37 PM

    Sounds like a rather chaotic scene as you trapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was chaos, and why I generally trap at night.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...