Tuesday, October 08, 2019

The Struggle

Death is trying to claim a little kitten.

A lady trying to care for him brought him here Monday.

  Immediately I saw the caking across his face and blocking his nose.  I didn't know if that was snot or the gruel she was now trying to get them to eat.  I was able to get the mess off, and there was pus under some of it.  Then I saw his little butt area.  His peepee hung down over half inch, elongated, red with blood and I knew his siblings had used it as the teet of choice, to suck on.

I knew then this kitten was likely doomed.  He should weigh a pound by now, but weighs only half a pound.  I gave him sub cu fluids and put him on heat and then took him to the ER vet.  $100 later with antibiotics in hand and a rather dire prognosis, I brought him home.  That was all yesterday, but seems so long ago.

Nothing can wear a person out like taking ten cats to the vet to be fixed, caring for them before hand, coming home to nap, only to be saddled with a struggling bottle babe.

So I'm woozy tired and the bottle babe is still alive but very weak, bubbling with URI and perhaps pneumonia, likely from inhaling kitten milk and with that dangling piece of flesh his siblings perhaps have ruined with their suckling.

He finally peed, indicating he can at least get urine through the enlarged ureter area.   I don't know what to call it.



Enlarged Ureter area

  The Kitten is only alive because I give him sub cu fluids three times a day and nutri cal kitten formula four to five times a day and have him on a hating pad nestled in warm rice bags.

I'm trying to give him a chance to kick down the URI/pneumonia, if he's able.  If not, he likely won't make it through another night.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Poor thing. I hope he makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. Thank you for all your efforts on his (and so many cats) behalf. I hope he makes it, but if not he will have a kinder death that he would have had without you. Which is, as I know, hard on you.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...