Saturday, October 12, 2019

Kate's Here for Charlie

Kate arrived last night, by bus and by train, to pick up Charlie.

I picked her up at the bus/train station and we came here to meet him, before she went to her hotel for the night.  He immediately took her lap over! 

Kate adopted Tiny Tim from me ten years ago this coming Halloween.  I was trapping a down town colony when, in the dark, I saw what looked like a cat flopping up the sidewalk.   I trapped him, horrified, under the drop trap.

Tim's knee was blown from an old encounter with a dog.   He'd had to live that way, flopping along.  But his life was about to change.  His leg was amputated.  Which immediately restored his mobility.  Sure he now had only three legs but he didn't seem to notice. And what a sweetheart.

My brother gave me his airline miles for a ticket to Huntington Beach.  I flew Tim down to Kate on Alaska Airlines on Halloween Day.  The stewardess was taken with Tim and upgraded Tim and I to first class and told me I could take Tim out of the carrier and gave me a bottle of wine.  I could have lived on that plane they were so nice.  I could not remember being treated so wonderfully before in my life.

Once in HB with Tim, we took him to Kate's apartment, then since I had 3 hours before the return flight, I had a whirlwind tour of HB.  I even walked the boardwalk made famous in Baywatch, and waded in the Pacific there.  I called it my three hour vacation!  But I remember it like it was yesterday.

Then it was the flight home, this time to Seattle, then boarding a prop plane to Portland and the drive home, along the way I had to pick up a cat from the same place Tim came from, whose foster person no longer wanted her there.

That was ten years ago.  Tim is still alive, an old man now.  And will be joined by sweet Charlie.

Tiny Tim right after amputation surgery

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like Charlie is going to absolutely the right place. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to a place where he will get lots of lap time and love. Just exactly what he needs and wants.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet, fun story. Charlie's going to have a great life, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Charlie will love it with Kate and Tim and the third cat, Sam.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:56 PM

    Nice. I've seen three legged dogs, but not a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim acted liked nothing had happened, after his amputation. He's still doing well up with Kate, who now lives in Bellingham. Tim and Charlie should get along very well. Both are laid back kitties.

      Delete
  5. Tim's story brought tears to my eyes. It's bittersweet wondering how many folks chose not to pay attention until you gave him a new, improved life. ~hugs~ I love that you were treated like you deserve for a change. ~nods~ Memories of that flight would stay with me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...