Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Another Emergency

I was a little slow to get moving this morning.  I slept a lot of hours though. I was tired, from the weekend, and the trapping and taking the cats to be fixed yesterday.

I had put the three kittens in the bathroom where they played up a storm.  But where would they go, I thought.  I shouldn't have worried, as a Felines First Rescue volunteer said she'd take them.

I loaded up the cats fixed yesterday from the Lebanon colony, and headed out with six of them and the kittens.

I was going to take the seventh, Gunnie, an older male, until I read the vet papers.  Said "severe tartar".  Said "rotten teeth".  Said "Needs extractions".  I deliberated and deliberated, then couldn't take a cat back in such shape and fixed him up in a comfy cage.

I didn't know what I'd do though, about finding somewhere to get him a dental.

It's hard to find affordable care.

I took the kittens to the Felines First volunteer and was so happy I could have hugged her.

Then I went to return the six cats fixed yesterday to their colony.  One of them had pooped a huge pile of smelly awfulness right after I loaded him into the car.  I let them all out, but as I'd driven in their driveway, I'd seen the injured male.  He has dead skin, a large piece, hanging off his throat.  So I picked the cleanest of the now empty traps and set it, and hoped he'd go in.  And he did.

So now I had a badly injured male in my car and I'd also loaded up the last tame teen in the colony, in hopes a friend would adopt him.  He's black too.

I put him in another cage I'd already set up.  If my friend doesn't adopt him, he'll get neutered Monday and go back.

Anyhow, the male's injury looked too bad to wait.  I was thinking maybe the spay neuter clinic, if I took him in to be fixed next Monday, would help him out with that wound. But then I looked again and it looked so bad, I took him right away to the Emergency Clinic.  He's still there now.  I call them in an hour or so to see if he can come back here.  They're going to neuter him too.

First time at colony, last week, I saw the cat, from a distance, and knew something was wrong, but couldn't tell what.


You can see that dead awful piece of skin hanging down below his neck, on the left of the photo, his right.

Waiting at the vet clinic.  I took a book as they had warned me it could be a wait.  He's in the covered trap.

You can see that torn off piece of dead skin is holding on to him by only a small piece, by now.  
Well, I call the clinic at 8:00 to get an update on him, see if he is ready to pick up.

I also called the coast clinic.  Soonest I can get a cat in for a dental is December 4, so I grabbed that appointment and will keep it for Gunnie if I can't find him somewhere else to get the dental sooner.
Gunnie has bad teeth but is otherwise healthy. I couldn't take him back knowing that, without doing something to help him out a little bit.  He's neutered and vaccinated now, free of parasites and will wait it out for that appointment in my garage.
Update:  Pirate is set up in a cage in my garage where he will remain, as he heals, for 7 to 10 days.  He's looking a whole lot better and was neutered too.


Thanks Rivers Edge, for fixing him up.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you were able to help Pirate. Huge thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! He ate a lot in the night and is relaxed in the cage. He's right beside his colony mate Gunnie, who is awaiting the dental. I hope there are no fireworks, as they are both adult freshly neutered males. But they're good so far, and catnip twigs over.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you tough day of ups and downs is over and hope tomorrow is "boring".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I may not even get dressed, lol. Boring is beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Poor boy! Glad you were available to help him out.

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...