Tuesday, May 28, 2019

New Colony

The off and on rain left nothing to be desired for a holiday long weekend.

I morosed alone, cursing my lonesomeness, wishing I had family.

I slept long hours.   I twinged my sacro illiac joint again.  It's the yard work, holding up the weed eater, pushing pulling the lawn mower.   This weekend was a good chance for me to allow it rest and I did.  It is my weakest point right now.  Both knees have healed and my impinged shoulder did also, so otherwise, things are looking up.  I have to let things heal before injuring something else.  My finger is good too, that one I sliced on the bottom of the dryer.  It's a bit red still but there is no scar.

I drove a trap up to the new colony, near where I've trapped other colonies, in Sodaville.

I have no spay neuter reservations for another week.

The first time I went up, I saw four of the tiny kittens and knew I wouldn't see them long.  They were in an old plastic dog house on the deck.  I knew she'd move them, even though they were safest there.

She moved them yesterday, not long after I was there and left the trap.

It was another mother, a long hair gray and white, who was out in the driveway with her three when I got there.  These three are older than the deck four, but one of the three is so much smaller I am sure it will not survive if I don't get it out of there fast.

I tried yesterday, after seeing it was in distress, but the commotion of me arriving and the caretaker coming out meant mom went back under the house with them.

The three kittens.  It's the fuzzy gray one on far left who is way too small 


Mom with her kittens in driveway


The other four on the deck are much younger.  The female black tux is precious and would come dancing over to me.  Mom did not like her approaching people.  Now she's moved them.  It's hard for a mom to watch over kittens once they start running around.  The deck four are just over 3 weeks old.



For some reason or another, Jeff is tame.  He has a brother, Mutt, who isn't.  There are only three males of ten adults.


He immediately sprayed down my trap.

Anyhow, no place to fix them til next Monday and then only seven of them.

Will leave you with a Slinko photo.

He needs his claws trimmed again.


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:46 AM

    Well not a high achieving day, but you are planning for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting ready, yes, to get those fixed and trying to find a place to take any surviving kittens. I have my doubts about survival though. The deck kittens all were beginning to get gunked eyes and I doubt the gray fuzzy one of the driveway three will live long unless I catch it before the weekend and get it some help.

      Delete
  2. Sigh.
    Your work is never ending.
    Glad that your finger has pretty much healed. Look after yourself. Please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am trying to take care of myself. Been sleeping a lot, to try to heal my back joint. Seems to be helping greatly! Lots of rest. Got some vegees and some strawberries from the farm down the road. I like just food from that farm, picked same day, easy and I like the people too. I just stop by, get what I need, since its right on the way to trapping jobs.

      Delete
  3. I hope you are able to help the kittens at the new place. But you can only do what you can do. Good luck when you get some appointments.

    Love the Slinko photo. My cats always seem to need their claws trimmed. I think they grow overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the litter of four is under the house, the lady says, that's where she moved them to but I'll get them eventually. There's no access under her house she said, once the deck stairs got built. It was accidentally blocked off. Some of the cats here seem regrow claws within a couple days of me trimming them. I think what is with that. So know what you mean.

      Delete
    2. I'll be able to trap the litter of three, they eat hard and wet food now, their mom not nursing them enough. I made the lady put out water for them, so they could stay hydrated and get some wet food. The females are having first litters and often they don't do so well. An experienced kitten lady has offered to take two of the most in need ones, so that was a great offer.

      Delete

Back to 7-11

 I already have 3 cats here, waiting for placement from 7-11, with Silverton Cat Rescue barn cat program. The two girls--Eleven and Petunia,...