Friday, April 12, 2019

More High Water Videos

These three videos are all of a trailer rescue I witnessed today.  Guy on an excavator in the water.


I saw the excavator heading down the hill across the river, or rather, I heard it.  I had walked into the park from the trail.  There were several other habitual park walkers I ran into also in the park today.  Two were down watching the drama across the river.  I joined them.   I had the camera on maximum zoom, which means the videos are shaky, since I had no tripod.   The guy crashed down several trees, to make room, then hooked up the bucket of the excavator to the hitch of the trailer and slowly backed it out of the water.

I don't know if any cows were in that trailer.  There had been quite a herd over there.  Someone who walked in the park today too, but several hours before I went, sent me an email worried about the cows so I guess when she was there, they were still over there.  They weren't evident when I was, but maybe some were in that trailer.  I don't know.

The water was very high up near the boat ramp.  This is from high water releases from the dam just upstream.   There is still a bit of water flowing over the road at the front of the park so its still closed to cars.  But people are resuming their routine walks in the park from the trail.   

My car is running again and that makes me happy and I had to get out somewhere after I got it back.   I just had to.  We don't have a lot of places to walk around these parts, so I went to the park.  I didn't see the boys, haven't seen them since the snow and fear they did not survive.  Maybe I'll be surprised one day and see them.  I hope so.  Last night I cried and cried over it all.  But there is very little I can do about their plight until things get back to normal with the water levels.




Dog park area.  These are all taken from the trail above the back of the park. The water in this photo is just standing water, not very deep either.

Front of park where water is over road.  But just barely now.

The water is almost up to the top of the boat ramp loop

The river is almost even with the overlook deck.  Wonder how long that will stay put.
I hope all this water drains away soon.   I'd like to see things back to normal around these parts and more than anything, I'd like to see the sun out and warm.

7 comments:

  1. That is more water than I have EVER seen in my area.
    I am thrilled that you have your car back, and hope you get some sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be nice, some sun. All week they said today would be the only day without rain and possibly some blue sky. So I have high hopes.

      Delete
  2. Our ice is thinning on the lakes. A few dogs have gone through. Thankfully, we have rescue workers who have donned diving suits and gotten in in time to rescue them. One man, took off his shoes and from the shore broke the ice out to a Labrador and rescued him.
    Yes, Spring brings with it all sorts of problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something you have so many people who help the dogs when they get in trouble on thin ice.

      Delete
  3. Although flooding is a very normal part of the natural cycle, it's hard to watch the destruction it causes. I hope you have some sunshine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I like the stories Maribeth shared. That's heartwarming. And I wish all the best to your boys out there. ~hugs~ I'm sorry (and grateful - *hugs*) for your worry.

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...