Tuesday, April 16, 2019

15 Cats Fixed Yesterday, Rain Continues

The rivers have gone down and for the most part, roads are back open.  I don't know if the park is open again.  It wasn't Saturday when I was up there but the water was no longer across the road at the front.  Highway 34 into Corvallis is back open but I think the bypass highway is still closed, or some lanes still closed.

I heard from a lady who adopted a cat from me years ago, who lives right past the store, that flooded badly, on Peoria Road.   She didn't get flooded there at the duplex, but the stables behind her where she keeps her horses was flooded four feet deep and they had to evacuate 90 horses, including hers.  She says they're back now, but she never wants to go through anything like that again.  No kidding.  I think the stables are named River Bottom.  They became the River Bottom in the flood.

Besides the speed boat that raced around highway 34 when it was flooded, there are now some classic photos of the women's crew team, who usually practice rowing on the Willamette River, rowing on the golf course, when it was flooded, since they could not row on the swollen Willamette.

I spent 6 1/2 hours at the Knox Butte colony Saturday morning.  That's the big colony where I've trapped about 30 cats to be fixed.  Two still needed caught to be fixed.   I put a remote control on the trap and watched it with a baby monitor.   For hours upon hours.   I finally caught one of the two needing fixed.   The traffic in and out of that house was tremendous, which made it extremely difficult.  Seems like a zillion people live there now, and really don't care much about me sitting there all that time trying to help them stop the population growth of cats they feed.

Rolo, a big long hair black tux male, now fixed.
I went clear to Sweet Home to pick up a male the lady said was a stray she'd been feeding for a month.   I think she lied about it being a stray though.   Oh well.

Snaps, a little brown tabby boy, fixed yesterday.
I also took two Lebanon tortis in to be fixed.  I think they are sisters.

Juniper and Millie, both fixed yesterday.
Since I had seven spots and not enough cats, I drove down a notorious street in Lebanon, full of drug houses, because a few weeks ago, I'd been on the street, getting cats fixed for a lady living in an RV and someone at a house said they had two needing fixed.  I was looking to find that man with two, but nobody knew who that was or what cats it would have been.  One place, a ramshackle junk pile shack, with people in and out, like a beehive, a skinny orange and white cat cried atop a pile of junk and filth.

I asked who the cat belonged to.  Someone stopped long enough to say it belonged to someone named Wendy, who lives in a tent along the river but it flooded out so she left the cat here for now.  They didn't know if she wanted him fixed or where she was at the moment.  I picked up the cat and pulled him down off the junk pile and put out a big pile of food on newspaper I had in my car for trapping.  He lit into that food like he hadn't had anything decent to eat for a good long time.

About that time a woman came along walking and I asked her if she knew anyone with cats needing fixed.  Her eyes got huge and she said, "My gawd, my aunt!"  And quickly wrote out her address on a  piece of scrap paper and gave it to me.

Well it wasn't far from that street, just around the corner and across the tracks, so I drove there, down to the very end of a dead end street and there I saw cats everywhere. I'd hit the mother load!

I knocked on the door of the old house as cats meowed around my legs, and an older woman came to the door and when she realized what I was asking, she nearly dropped to her knees in happiness.  I took two for the time being, of the many many cats around needing fixed.  But later I got seven more reservations given me then two more by someone else and went back and caught nine more.

The lady and her sister live there and sometimes the niece does too whom I met on the other street.

A lot of the cats were fixed already.  She'd get the vouchers when she could, to get them done, but you can only get four a year and that isn't very helpful when trying to control a large colony.  At least she was trying.  More than I can say about a lot of folk.

There were already three females with kittens in the house.  11 kittens in all.

But I got 11 fixed from there yesterday and that's not bad, since I just found that colony Sunday.  Here are photos of the boys fixed. 

Bandit, big black and white male, fixed yesterday.

Jack, a very pretty male

Rocky, a black tux handsome boy

Tigger, an orange tabby boy
One Eye

Scampy


Besides the six boys fixed, five girls were also fixed from this colony.

Angel Face

Pixie

Roonie

Solitaire

Viajita
They allowed me inside their house to see the kittens.  I got photos of two of the three litters.

This mom has five kittens, not more than a few days old
This mom, who is kind of wild, has three kittens
Well, got a good start on the colony.  She thinks there are ten to twelve more needing fixed, not counting the moms with kittens.

I don't think there is sun in the forecast yet.  I haven't really paid attention however.


12 comments:

  1. How sad that people wind up in such a jam. Even if they had just gotten to the boys first. Glad you found this woman and hopefully this is one colony that is now under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll get it under control there fast I hope.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:12 AM

    I think you should make an executive decision at times and just remove the cats for desesxing, and return them a few days later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I about did on that orange and white skinny boy, but I'll go back there today and try to sort out things out.

      Delete
  3. You've been too busy fixing cats to know what the forecast is. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How nice that *somebody* else is trying. And how unusual to see yet another female orange tabby. I suppose when you're dealing with the number of felines you see, the odds are high. ~hugs~ Be well, my dear, and stay safe. I'd be nervous in those neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of Lebanon is like that, unfortunately.

      Delete
  5. WELL DONE. Again.
    I hope you can save that orange boy, and am very, very glad to hear that someone else is trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went today and couldn't find him. According to one denizen of the drug house the owner came and took him off.

      Delete
  6. The newspaper beneath the nursing cats contains the words, "Luxury Portfolio."

    I've been surprised that the flooding hasn't been worse. I live across the street from Amazon Creek (because it has been dredged and straightened, it's really more of a drainage canal) that starts on the slopes of Spencer Butte, and even it hasn't flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the creek would have flooded. I didn't even notice that from the newspaper beneath the mom cat. Where she and many other cats live there is not luxury living but the sisters do care about their cats. And those five kittens are a portfolio!

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...