Monday, April 08, 2019

Flooding

The flooding has become worse.   This fricking rain just won't stop.

The county park is closed now.  The rivers are roaring and in places over their banks.  Many local roads are closed due to high water.  There's another landslide on highway 58 near Oakridge.   Oakridge is where that Amtrak train got stuck due to snow a month or so ago, and trees across the tracks.

Landslides on highway 38 to Reedsport too, the usual places.

Darn rain, just won't quit.

I tried to feed the boys.  The park was closed so I walked the trail above the park from the residential district.   The high water extended across the main park road down near the dog park, back towards the deck that is for viewing the river.  It's kind of a nonstop river there going on, but the park itself is high and dry.  However, due to the water on the road into it, its closed and evacuated, not a soul in there.

I walked and walked along the trail.  The lower area below it I knew would be flooded for quite a ways.  It's often flooded half the winter.  But finally, I scored and found a dry area into the park.  I walked in and through the vacant fields usually full of frisbee golf players and down to where I feed the boys.  I saw no sign of them but left food, plenty of it.

I didn't tary in the park.  There are risk takers who might find the place I found and go in and not be nice to the park or act stupidly.  I didn't want seen.  I just wanted to leave the food, retreat back to the trail and walk out.  Felt good to walk awhile along that trail.  It was muddy, with mud puddles but ok really.

Lots of people were up by the bridge looking at the swollen river.


I took this from the trail above the backside of the park.  Dog park is mostly flooded, but the problem is its parking lot and the main road into the park are flooded.  That's why its closed.  The main area of the park is high and dry. 
This is from the trail again above the park, looking back towards the river.  The main road into the park you can't see because its under water, looks like maybe all the way to the river.  I couldn't tell.

You know how people can be.  Drive through that high water on the park road at speed and hydroplane right into the darn river and that's the  end of them.  So its rightfully closed.

The water will go down fast if this rain ever ends.

So the sheep were out in the field and one had two lambs in the grass and there was an eagle very close.




Eagle trees.  There were not as many perched in them as last time I passed.
I'd received a text from the big Knox Butte colony folks saying they were out of cat food.  Same time CAFA, a Salem group, had told me they had a great barn home for two cats. I decided to get two cats out of that Knox Butte colony.  There are 30 fixed ones alone and at least two more needing caught and fixed and its hard to trap out there, with so many people in and out, in and out.   I did catch two though.  I caught Flame, the Flame Point, fixed back in January, and little Hoodsie, a gray and white boy, one of the last ones fixed.   I texted the CAFA woman questioning if the barn home was ok for a light colored cat and she said it would be fine.  So I settled on the two I caught.   There are still 30 cats out there.

This is Flame, before he was fixed.

Hoodie is the gray and white on the right.
They're set up in a garage holding cage right now.  I think they're leaving tomorrow.   I already updated their flea treatment and worming, so they're ready.

My car goes to the shop Wednesday.  I am very anxious to get it fixed.

Friday we may see a  brief bit of sun.  I can't wait.  I have my lawn chair, my sunglasses, and my sunscreen set out and ready.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for all you do - and in particular today thank you for feeding the boys.
    I hope you get sunshine soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see them, and you'd think, with the park vacant of people and free roaming dogs for a change, I would have. I don't know if they're even still alive.

      Delete
    2. It was an enjoyable walk on the trail on the upside perimeter of the park. I ran into one dog walker but nobody else. It's a very popular trail with the dog walkers. I had not planned ahead for a walk on a muddy trail and wore my old sneakers with mesh body, that get wet if there's one drop of moisture. They are hanging up now in the bathroom to dry out.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:59 PM

    That's a lot of water flowing very fast. Poor sheep, who look newly shorn and must be cold and miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those sheep look miserable too. I don't know if the lambs will survive the eagle, and if they survive the eagle, will they then end up lamb chops on someone's plate.

      Delete
  3. Hope you need your sunglasses soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss so many posts? ~shakes head~ You do such great work. ~hugs~ I'm sorry you got 'rewarded' with car trouble. I hope it's not an expensive fix. You've made me even more grateful for our lucky find. The sole other owner took excellent care of our Volt. You deserve a safe, reliable ride and some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often find notifications of your posts in spam in my email folders. And from some other bloggers. I click "not spam" and then a few months later, same thing goes on. Anyhow, maybe that's how you miss my posts? I love the mechanic shop I use, they're so good at finding what is wrong. It took awhile with this problem but they found the problem. I have it back as of an hour ago.

      Delete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...