Friday, January 18, 2019

Rain, Rain

It's supposed to rain very hard, starting this afternoon.

Why am I not in gear, getting things done before that happens?

Beats me.  Guess I'm still worn out from the last 8 cats here.  I took them home yesterday, but most of the dirty traps are still in the car.  Exhaustion set in.  Then I just kind of sit around, make bad comments on facebook, take naps, moan and groan, that kind of thing.

Takes a couple days to recuperate sometimes.  I got a few things going on, like one arm and shoulder goes numb if I carry too many heavy things, knees that pop and crack and swell and go back to normal, a middle finger that locks--the getting older everything over used sort of stuff.

I let myself recover now, learned I have to.

I've got the 9th cat here still, trapped Monday, along with the other 8 but I only had 8 reservations.  I held out the smallest easiest one to care for until I can get him fixed.

When I returned the two Griggs cats, that was Tuesday (they were fixed Monday), the three black tailed deer were in the field again.   There are usually hawks in the line of trees too and a heron on the other side huddled or hunting.


One of the two younger ones is darker in color.  Black tailed deer are the most common deer around these parts and are related to the larger mule deer.



I returned Cheeky the torti to her home too.  Her people wanted her back and she wasn't happy here. She is the kitty who suffered a complication after surgery.  She had to have a second surgery and a blood transfusion to survive but she survived.  My cats can be such arses' to newbies here or visitors.  The gosh darn old farts that they are.   Cheeky, once out of the carrier I took her home in, ran around mewing for her family members.  Two of them came running to greet her.  Very happy scene to watch.


When I returned the 8 fixed Wednesday, I saw yet another unfixed muted calico, plus a big huge black tux tame unfixed male.  I'm aching to get the rest fixed but hampered by lack of local spay neuter resources to do it.  Kills me to see all those unfixed cats and have to wait to find spay neuter space somewhere.  Nobody has been in heat or pregnant so far so I want to next get those three big dominant males I've seen fixed.  Takes a month or two for hormones to diminish, and I don't want them tearing each other up as heat season gets under way.   So far I've gotten 12 fixed from there, four Monday and 8 Wednesday.   Only 4 of those 12 have been girls and only 3 of the 12 have been adults, them being all females, which was really good.  I've seen now at least four more adult females and then those three big boys, the black tux being the biggest and baddest.  He's next on my list.


You are next, buddy.  Get used to that idea.

Not much going on other than rain, work, sleeping, cleaning litter boxes, you know, the usual blah blah blah.   Can't wait for some sunny warm weather but that's a long way off.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that you have learned (the hard way) to listen to your body when it demands time out.
    Loved the deer - and good luck on capturing the big boys. When you are rested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. Today I did almost nothing all day long which was very nice and tomorrow I will do almost nothing once again. But Sunday, I'll be back at it since I scored some extra spay neuter space Monday and Tuesday. Which makes me excited, but I'll sleep easy knowing.

      Delete
  2. Here in the east, we have white tailed deer and no black tailed deer as far as I know. I wonder where the dividing line is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we have a few white tails in Oregon but not many and only in specific areas I think. I'll have to look up where the line is, east and west, where on one side there are more white tails than on the other.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...