Sunday, January 20, 2019

12 More

I caught 12 more unfixed cats out at the KB colony this morning.

Rain was pouring down too, so I had very little dry space for traps and nowhere to watch them from discreetly. 

Yesterday I slept half the day, didn't wake up til after 6:00 p.m.   Then I went to the store to get bait.  On the way home, I pulled to a stop at the intersection at Queen and Geary, no other cars around, and the red light cameras flash.  Two of them.  I was just sitting there.  Bright as day they flash.  What the fuck, I thought.  Am I going to get a ticket for NOT running a red light or something?   I can't figure out why they would have flashed.  I don't like going through that intersection.  I see them flash on cars for no reason quite often.

I get home, and get miffed immediately to see an unfixed unknown buff male in my driveway.  In the street, facing off from a nice safe distance from him, was the cat from across the street and down two houses.  Then to join the male madness, here comes the unfixed Siamese from the house behind mine.   I was getting steamed over neighbors being so bad, when I see a car parked up my driveway.  Nobody in it either.  It's after dark.  I thought "be a dumb burglar breaking into my place, there's nothing in there but cats, lol."  Anyhow, I shine a light on the car then finally walk up the driveway and see that its a friends car.  I'd asked her to watch my cats a week from yesterday, but not yesterday.  I look in my kitchen window and there she is, working away.  I go in and say "Watcha doing?"  "Feeding the cats," she says.   Then it dawns on her, suddenly, she's got the wrong date.  We laugh and laugh.  It was nice to see her.

I saw at least five more unfixed uncaught cats by the time I left the KB colony with 12.  I recaught Juan, Panama, Krakatoa and Rainier.  All four were already fixed.  That didn't help.  But catching 12 more isn't bad, along with Hoodsie, the one still waiting to be fixed, in my garage.

That's 25 caught there now, since a week ago Sunday.

I was lucky today.  I needed to pee very badly after three cups of coffee, sitting out there in my car, at the colony for hours, catching cats, rain pouring.   I could have gone out behind the trash pile but I didn't know if they had cameras or not and they were gone.  I texted a friend two driveways down.  I caught cats there too, then she adopted Copper of McLagen Road.   She said "Come on over and pee".  So I did.  She was starting split pea soup and said to come by later and have some.   I did, for dinner.  It was already dark and still wet.  She and one of their tenants were watching one of the football playoff games and hoping the clouds would part so they could see the full lunar eclipse.

I ate lunch earlier up at the colony house.  They came home from church and she said "come on in, we have some leftovers".  It was very good, salad and fruit salad and some sort of potato dish.  She and I and a guy living there in a spare room heated up plates, with potato dish and broccoli,  in the microwave, then added salad and ate at the wood table.  She was headed off to Portland to take care of a sick granddaughter and filling up a big thermos of cold coffee, said her granddaughter has no coffee maker and she can't survive without coffee.  She's so busy, helping everyone, mainly the homeless of our county, at least I can get all those cats fixed so that will be off her mind.  She has more people calling wanting help from her than I do.  I watched the calls come in and I don't know how she does it.  She's one of those easy to be around people, like you've known her already forever.

I have now 11 reservations tomorrow and 3 Tuesday.  So I can add on another, if I catch another, on Tuesday.

I caught the three known boys and named them Junior, Reddit and Flame.

Junior

Reddit

Flame
I caught the Siamese female and the Siamese kitten too.

Whitey, torti point Siamese

Snowflake
I caught three young black and whites, with varying degrees of each color.

Tailor is a girl
Finn

Flecks
I caught two calicoes and a long hair muted torti.
Cassandra, the long hair muted torti
Cinderella
Clementine
And finally the lone all black.
Barbary the Black  I had thought Barbary was a girl, so she was going to be Barbara but then I wasn't so sure and went with Barbary as sort of a slippery boy or girl name.  Starts with "B" for black though, so I might possibly remember it.

Who didn't I catch?  Well, at least one calico, a small brown tabby, a gray and white and two black and whites.  Those are the five I know are still uncaught and unfixed.

Hoodsie, the little gray and white I caught last week, is in the garage too, waiting to be fixed.

I was out there five hours but they were onto me by then and kept catching same olds, the fixed ones.  So I left the trap there fixed so it wouldn't spring and came home finally.  It was a good catch, the dozen and the colony is close to becoming entirely fixed.  Very close.  I can feel it.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a mostly good and productive day - with some treats thrown in. Hooray for home-cooked meals and laughter.
    Someone is busier than you? I find that a tad hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:37 AM

    Not to underate what you do, but I expect you dealing with cats is a whole lot easier than your friend does who deals with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know its much harder to figure out options for homeless people!

      Delete
  3. A dozen cats caught and spit pea soup with friends. Sounds like a good day. However, I would have very scared to see the strange car in my driveway. I'm glad you figured it out and it all turned out well. Our mind does interesting things in the dark sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was interesting to see that car up my driveway and in the dark, at first I could not recognize the car.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You're amazing. ~nods~ And what a nice surprise to find your friend. ~hugs~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all beautiful. How kind of you to help them all. How sad there are so many in need near you.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...