Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Nine More Caught


I got nine cats fixed Monday but only four from the new large KB colony.   I think there are at least 30 cats out there.  When KATA said they were not using 8 reservations today, I snapped them up.

I returned the six cats left to overnight with me yesterday morning.  First I returned the two from the Griggs Road colony.  I like those folks.  We've become friends.   At least I like to think of them that way.

They struggle as so many families do these days, as full time 24/7 caregivers for an aging parent, while at the same time, trying to make a living to survive.

Then I loaded up the four from the KB colony along with a lot of empty traps and headed up there.   I was going to target adults only, for the 8 reservations, but I got lazy after awhile and just took who I caught although I did catch two of the known adult females.  I saw three others I knew I should be catching, all three being adult females too, but they'd already been fed and I was tired.

I caught nine more even though I had only 8 reservations but I didn't do it on purpose.  Two cats got into one small trap and sprung it, and I didn't want to turn one loose.

On the way home with nine more cats, I went down Kennel Road, and there, at Spicer, a wreck had just happened.  A van was down in the ditch with its side smashed in.  A pickup was up on Kennel with its front end smashed.  There was glass and debris all over.  A Linn County road truck had pulled over and a man from it was out with a flat end shovel trying to pull debris off the road.  The police had not yet arrived but the people in the van were getting out by then so I drove on.

Later I realized I might know that van, as one I'd seen up in the park, painted flat black. The van in the ditch isn't green like I thought at first because I drove by it again. It's flat black. The one in the park had this sign taped on the inside pointed out, passenger side, said "Danger" then something else.  Had seemed strange to me, up in the park.  Now to see the same sign on the same window in the van in the ditch, I realized it was probably the same van.  And now, there it was, in a ditch, all smashed to pieces.

A wave of sadness came over me as I drove on.

Well here are the nine cats next in line from the KB colony to be fixed.   One won't go today, as I have just 8 appointments, not 9.

I name the cats for the records.  There are a lot of black and whites I trapped.  I decided to go with mountain names but that was after I had already named the calico Camille.

Camille, the calico, one of them, will be fixed today.
Fuji, a muted torti, will be fixed also today.   After naming Camille I thought I'd go with royal family names, but then something came on the news about a hiker found on Mt. Hood, who had become lost in a white out, and I changed just like that to mountain names.
Etna
Shasta
Kilimanjaro
Krakatoa
Rainier
Denali
Hoodsie is the 9th cat and the one who won't go along today since he looks to be the easiest maybe to hold onto til he can be fixed   And I better get a move on, have to leave for the clinic in a few minutes.  In other news, today Cheeky goes home, as her people want her back and she is now very recovered from her two surgeries and blood transfusion.

10 comments:

  1. The good news is that the people were able to get out of the van. Maybe they can get an even better van now (said to be positive, but not really believing it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope eh? When I saw it in the park, I was pretty sure they were living in that van.

      Delete
  2. If the man who owned the van had seemed "strange" to me (I take it that you meant that he seemed scary), I don't know if I would feel sad for him. Maybe I would instead worry about what he might do to the driver of the other vehicle. I might think he was like the man I saw yesterday who was riding his bicycle down the wrong side of the street and suddenly crossed the street right in front an oncoming car. The car threw on brakes so as to not hit the moron, at which point the bicyclist yelled profanity at the driver. Perhaps he would have preferred to be run over. I frankly don't care what happens to people like that, just as I have no patience with people who put warning signs in their vehicle's windows (for instance, nothing in this car is worth your life). When you help cats, you know you're helping creatures that are worthy of your time, the same not always being true of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woman driving the van both times, up at the park and getting out of the drivers side, after that wreck, male is the passenger so I guess the van is hers or was hers, who knows. You are right, I was scared of him in the van at the park, acting strange, me and that van with the strange sign, only cars in the lot up there. I didn't get out and finally they left and then I got out. The woman had come back form using the park restroom by then. But they only moved to a different parking lot in the park. I think they were living in it.

      Delete
  3. How awful to have your home and car trashed. Glad they could get out, but still...
    Lovely that Cheeky is well enough to go home. And thank you (as always) for continuing your never-ending task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took her home today and she was so happy. She began calling for her family members immediately then touched noses with them.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:24 PM

    Kosciusko? Our tallest mountain, although that is disputed I think. More good work done. The van if painted flat black, can't really be worth much, but perhaps a lot to its owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a piece of crap van and when in the park, I saw no plates and even talked to the sheriff when I saw him at the store there near the park and he said they'd already talked to that couple.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you weren't involved in the accident, but it's always sad to see. As for your use of the word 'lazy', I beg to differ. ~nods~ Such joy for Cheeky! Thank you for all your hard work.

    That's too bad you struggle to keep reading glasses. My problem is the opposite; things like headphones and earmuffs and many hats tend to be too large for me. I like to think my brain is big despite my smallish head. ~grin~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was lazy in some ways. I had 8 reservations, I could have used those for 8 adults. Instead I only caught 3 adults, but oh well, it'll get done. Stepping on reading glasses isn't exactly healthy for them, and neither is falling asleep while reading in bed, and rolling over the glasses several times in the night.

      Delete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...