Wednesday, November 14, 2018

12 More Cats Fixed Monday

I wasn't going to exhaust myself Monday by taking in large numbers of cats to be fixed, before the coast trip Tuesday.

I even downsized my ten spay neuter reservations to seven.

I knew who I would take.  Five kittens from a Tangent property would be delivered to my door Sunday night.  And my friend in Brownsville would help a lady feeding strays trap them.  Only two.  And bring them up Sunday night.  It was to be so easy.

Then I got a call.   And fate turned.

A family out off Brewster road had a lot of unfixed cats and kittens and could I help.

I went out Sunday, with frost biting the air and turning the ground white.

Even the sound of a single piece of kibble hitting a plate brought scores of desperate little ones charging out from under everything.

There was no water out and the kittens, whom I scruffed as they were gulping food, were so dehydrated and sick with URI's, they barely noticed me carrying them one by one to the car, to put in a carrier.  I put five in the car, and caught four adults and a teen in live traps.   I had been offered someone else's five reservations for Monday by chance, on Saturday night.

So I downsized my own reservations from ten to seven, then picked up five more from someone else.  Now I'd be taking in 12 cats.  And have five kittens in my bathroom.

However it turned into 11 kittens by Monday morning.   He called and said he'd dug his own trap out of the grass and set it and caught two kittens but was leaving to go see his father in the hospital.  I groaned.  I had just delivered 12 cats to the clinic and needed to do other stuff, in preparation for the trip Tuesday.

I went out, released the two ADULTS he had caught and could not leave a couple more of the kittens behind, with severe URI's.  I knew they would not make it.  Instead of two, I brought six more home.  Oh boy.  Fortunately, today, Wednesday, if I can get my butt in gear, I'm taking 8 of the 11 north to Animal Rescue and Care Fund.  That's awesome, for myself and for these kittens and for those folks out there.

These were the two he'd caught in his trap.  I turned them loose, since I had not more spay neuter reservations for awhile and couldn't hold them.
I wanted that little black long hair kitten.  I"d already caught two of the kittens I wanted out of there.  This was Monday.  A 2nd unfixed mac tabby sits in the trap, just hadn't released her yet.
That little orange long hair has gunked over eyes.  I caught them using the water bottle under trap door trick, although I'd caught the 2nd mac tabby with them.  I transferred these two to my 2nd trap and released the mac tabby from the other trap, as she can wait.
I got all four of these kittens.  A black short hair, a black long hair, a torbi and a gray.
Six more, along with the five I'd caught on Sunday, now in the bathroom.  But most are leaving today.
This sweet little tabby girl tamed so fast.  She was sick with URI and full of ear mites, fleas and tapeworms.  Hence that massive appetites of all the cats out there----tapeworms.
This long hair tabby, one of the five I took out Sunday, was the sickest.  All were severely dehydrated.  First thing was to give all five sub cu fluids.   Then flea treatment, then warmth (she's on a heat frisbee) and lots of food.  You wouldn't believe her now, two days later, running around, tame, happy.  Kittens bounce back so quickly.
This little long hair muted torti was very ill too.
Anyhow, back to the cats fixed Monday, photos of the 12.  For the records.

The two from Brownsville, fed as strays.

Zeus, a black male.  He turned out to be crypt orchid (one testicle up inside his body)

Othello, a big brown tabby boy, who turned out already fixed
Now for the five Tangent kittens.....

Jacoby, a gray tux little boy.
Sprite, a beautiful boy

Weather, a brown tabby girl, along with Hopsy, a darling light gray bobtail boy
Flutter, a little long hair brown tabby tux boy.
Then the five from the rural over run property.....four adults and a teen boy.

They are still here, as the family has nowhere to recuperate them.  So I fixed them up in the garage in three cages and fed them massive amounts of food (darn tapeworms).  I'll return them this afternoon after I deliver kittens to ARCF.

Gordy, a long hair orange male

Jack, a teenage orange mac tabby

Summer, a beautiful light torbi

Sabrina, a black girl, very sweet too

And finally Sally, another torbi
I'm very thankful the feral package at whs includes a droncit injection.  Droncit kills tapeworms.  These guys will get the food they eat now.  It won't go to worms. It's stupid not to worm your cats.  Why pay to feed worms?

So I've had a busy three days, what with yesterday's trip to the coast and all.  Today will be busy in that I'm driving 8 kittens north, then returning five more, but that's nothing, really.   Then I'm home free almost.  Will just have three kittens left in the bathroom and no more spay neuter reservations for two weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that was hard to keep up with all of the comings and goings. Lot's a cats there that are getting a second chance to live. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, felt good about getting that many fixed and 8 more kittens up to ARCF.

      Delete
  2. You're amazing, especially considering most of the idiot people you come up against. ~hugs~ Thanks for the awesome good works.

    ReplyDelete

The Wolverine Visits Linn County

 I don't know if its the same Oregon touring wandering wolverine that was seen yesterday outside Lebanon on Golden Valley road.   The wa...