Tuesday, November 13, 2018

So Long Honey

Another sad day in cat land.  Honey had a good life.

She died today, over at the coast clinic.   I went over this morning with her and Bonita.  I was going to take Sassy not Honey but I saw about three weeks ago, she was in decline and decided I'd take her, to try to find out what was going on.   I thought it would be a dental issue again.  I hoped it would be.

Honey was from a terrible homeless camp in Corvallis.  Myself and Poppa Inc.'s director trapped over 50 cats there and in the end, removed most of them.  Teddy and Starr are from the same camp.

I had to sneak into the camps, quiet as a mouse, after the younger homeless were passed out drunk, to trap kittens.   Honey was one of them.

She went to a home once, was there two months then the young women returned her, said she cried all the time.  When she let Honey out of the carrier here, Honey went bananas, running in circles, she was so happy to be home.  Then she ran to each of her cat friends here and touched noses.   That was it.  She stayed.

She went downhill really fast.  I wondered what was going on when less than two years ago she had to have about 20 teeth pulled.  The year before she'd been in and only had one bad tooth.  I should have watched her after that more closely. 

Blood work today showed failing  kidneys and liver and extremely high blood sugar.  Yet she'd had no symptoms of diabetes, like eating a lot or drinking a lot of water.   Her weight loss had been rapid, just a very fast decline.  She was euthanized today.  The vet had no idea what the underlying condition might be.   No sense doing more tests.  Honey had turned wild after returning from two months in a home where she was so unhappy.

Honey's best friend here was Panda.  She had also adored old Vision and had many many friends.  She was treasured by all of us.

Rest in peace my little girl.



Honey with her friend Brambles

Honey  gets a bath from fat Oci

Honey with Jade, who died of mouth and jaw cancer almost a year ago

Honey watches Meesa.  She wants that bed.


My Sweetie


9 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:23 PM

    What a handsome cat. You will miss her greatly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She lived with her friends not so much with me, Andrew. I loved her and loved watching her close bonds to her cat family.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. :/ It is always a difficult day when we lose a loved pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of Honey. I know she will be missed by all, but I'm happy that you gave her a good life that she otherwise wouldn't have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy she had a great life here too with so many friends who loved her.

      Delete
    2. Such a wonderful gift you gave her. ~hugs~ May she rest in peace. And please don't beat yourself up over her decline. I can't imagine what you could have done differently with no symptoms showing. Be well, my dear.

      Delete
  4. I love that you give so many cats, including Honey, a second chance at life.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...