Sunday, February 11, 2018

BB Now at Heartland Humane and River Trail Photos

BB the black girl with the white whiskers is now at Heartland Humane, waiting for a home.  I hope she gets a great one.


Gearing up to trap the rest of the Salem colony cats, starting tomorrow, at least I hope to get the rest.  The greatest issue doing so is caretaker cooperation in it.

Also will be driving some Halsey cats to be fixed tomorrow, the four remaining unfixed ones (two were fixed last week).  Diana found this woman needing cats fixed and will bring them up here today.  Fortunately although these cats live mostly outside, they also come into the house through a window and the woman could get them into Diana's carriers, although one carrier broke apart in the car and that cat got out again.  Hopefully she will be contained again soon.

I walked through the county park up in Waterloo again.  I'm trying to get some exercise.  There's not really much available in pleasant walking where I live.  The city has few sidewalks even, at least, sidewalks that go for more than fifty feet then vanish.  I didn't realize that until the time my car broke down and I had to walk to get groceries.  Unfortunately that grocery store closed and now its many miles to an affordable store so I hope my car keeps working.

Anyhow, we don't have trails and walking paths around here, have to drive to find any so the county park, a 35 minute drive from me, is about it.  That park has a relatively short path along the river, five minutes or so walking west of the boat ramp on the trail before you are spit out onto just field and about ten minutes the other direction, if the trail isn't under water which it often is and its a very rough trail currently full of rocks and roots and in places, water still.  But I went along it yesterday, lacking other forms of recreation.

The trail is rather rocky and full of roots.

The paths from the trail to small beaches on the river are sometimes just washes, where water has run in when high.


Some parts of the trail are full of icky standing water left behind when high water receded.

South Santiam River

Cat tracks in the sand.  Feline tracks show a central pad then four toe pads minus claw marks.

Santiam's water is very clear but also cold.

Someone was walking in very sharply pointed shoes or boots.  I can't walk in such things.  


One of many standing pools of trapped water with algae growing.

Looking east up the river.


I've been watching the Olympics.  Not a lot of time spent on it.... I didn't watch the opening ceremony.   Looks cold there.  The combined N. and S. Korean venture is a bit awkward.  I like the winter Olympics more than the summer games. Are you watching the games?

I forgot to add some cat photos, so now I am....




4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:56 AM

    It's quite a decent sized river, with plenty of water. There are some very contented looking cats there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup the Santiam is fairly large and what our city gets water from, partly. Above where I was today, is Foster Reservoir, on the Santiam, and above that, Green Peter Dam and reservoir. So flow is fairly closely monitored and regulated from the two reservoirs.

      Delete
  2. Look at those contented faces. ~hugs~ BB is a doll, too. I was going to suggest how I sometimes exercise, marching in place or ding kickbox cardio moves in my living room but that view looks well worth the drive. Just don't twist a knee or ankle! Anyway, I go that route if there's something worth watching on the idiot box that my spouse cannot wait another minute to show me. And for us, that isn't any type of sports these days. I do recall watching both seasonal Olympics as a young girl. My services as channel changer often required me to suffer. ~grin~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy and I are watching a good bit of the games, but I feel a little guilty about it. Did you know that the women are a lot more prone to injuries than the men due to the fact that, away from the Olympics, women athletes tend to tackle less challenging jumps, but, at the Olympics, they either don't have courses that are appropriate for them, or they feel embarrassed to use them. Here's one of several links: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5400105/Aerial-skiers-pound-snow-HEAD-FIRST.html . I'll often be watching an event at the Olympics and thank my lucky stars that I don't have a child--or more likely a grandchild or even a great grandchild--competing simply BECAUSE of the danger. I don't know how those people survive long enough to compete in the Olympics. Such thoughts bring up to me the question of whether it's morally right to watch people doing dangerous things regardless of whether they're doing them willingly, and if it is right, where does one logically say no. I would assume that most people would say no to watching people voluntarily shooting it out with guns, and you commented on my post about feeling that it's wrong to watch football. Well, isn't much of what goes in the Olympics also dangerous enough that, just maybe, it's wrong to watch it, and why didn't such thoughts occur to me even four years ago. As for liking winter Olympics more than summer Olympics, I suppose I would say summer because the sports seem less fast and dangerous and because I really like the volleyball, especially the women's beach volleyball, and, no, it has nothing to do with the bikinis, but with the fact that the women somehow come across as more personable compared to the men because the latter tend toward the macho stiff upper lip mentality.

    I especially like your photos of the stump and of the plants growing in the water of the South Santiam. All in all, though, I find it a little depressing to go walking around water in winter--or around other places in winter for that matter. I'm simply NOT a winter person, and there's more to see in summer--flowers, for example--and then there's the fruit to eat.

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...