Friday, February 02, 2018

13 Females; 7 Males. Now Fixed.

I did take 20 Salem colony cats all the way to Portland yesterday.

Wednesday evening as I tried to prepare was no picnic either.

Remember that family with cats who had to move, because the apartment complex is a dive and needs repairs?  Well, the kid texted me, Wednesday evening of all the bad times.  He'd supposedly found a home for his favorite cat, Rosy, but suddenly he wants me to hold her, for the friend taking her, for a week, says he or she won't be back for a week.  I figured Rosy would be left on her own if I didn't take her.  I went over and got her, set her up in the foster cage, but also asked about Chiquita, the long hair calico. 

KATA had taken Chiquita in along with her kittens last summer. Then Kata contacted me about getting the others there fixed, which I did.  They were going to find a home for Chiquita but in the end, some time later, returned her.  I'd never met Chiquita, and wondered if push came to shove, and the owners were going to leave her, what would I do with her.  KATA had told me she was feral.   And she's mostly white.  You can't place a mostly white cat as a barn cat.

. I asked the kid where she was, when I picked up Rosy, because they were going to be gone from the apartment the next day--yesterday.   He claimed the neighbors scared her off.  But I wasn't home an hour when he called back and said she was in the house, could I come get her.  I texted KATA, asking if they could take her (they'd already said they would, if she was tame, but now I'd have her in hand and find out for sure if she was tame or feral) and then I went and got her and put her in the bathroom, by now stressed and worried I would not get enough sleep before the big 4:00 a.m. rolled around, when I'd have to be up to start changing trap papers to load the 20 cats.

Turns out, Chiquita is totally tame!  So Kata said they'd take her in when they found a foster.  I was a little shocked how tame she is, had initially reacted to her like she must be feral, but she's delightful and sweet and loves to be petted.  She's got mats though and bad ear mites.

 I can't tell you how relieved I was to find out Chiquita is tame.  As otherwise, what would I do with a long hair mostly white calico if feral?

But I did wake to the alarm on time and load up the car with 20 cats in traps Wednesday morning and headed with them to Portland. I had to get up at 4:00 a.m. so I could have time to transfer cats to a clean trap, then clean the trap they'd been in, and transfer another cat to that one, for 20 cats.  Then I could load them up in the car and take off.   I spent the day in a parking lot, but took a break for a nice lunch of pizza and salad.

Thanks to a donation to do that from my cat loving friend Joan of Sprinfield.

I dropped 11 of the 20 cats off with Meow Village in Salem on the way home. Lucky them!  They had agreed to take 9, but then added on the little orange tux girl kitten, and then agreed to take on the big orange short hair polydactyl male too.  He's so laid back, but also had a bad infection from a bite on one leg and they had to take him to the vet for that today, where he tested positive for FIV, so they had several of the others tested, including another big male they took---Blondie, but everyone else was negative.

Below is a photo of the big gentle polydactyl boy with the injured leg and FIV.


Meow Village also took Blondie, the big long hair orange male, and the orange tux kitten, who is a girl.
Blondie

Orange tux girl kitten

They took in the short hair black teen girl who had a bad cold too.
Black teen girl Meow Village took in after she was fixed at the FCCO.
They took in five other teen girls and two young adult females to round out the 11.
Black smoke long hair female teen fixed yesterday.

Brown tabby long hair female teen

Gray and white female teen

Long hair gray female teen

And another black long hair female teen

Short hair torbi female also taken in by Meow Village after she was fixed.

Mackeral tabby female Meow Village also took in after her spay
I then housed the other 9 cats overnight here.  Also did laundry, cleaned traps and tried to keep from falling asleep as I cleaned my own cats litterboxes and fed them and checked up on Chiquita and Rosy.  I wonder if they'll just abandon Rosy on me.  I never know.

This morning I returned seven cats to the old couple.  These are the seven I returned.

This black and white female went home today.
This teen calico also went home today after being fixed yesterday.

So did this massive male.
As did Buffy, the long hair orange and white male.

And two adult long hair brown tabby males.  The one above and the one below.


And lastly, number seven to go home, of the 20, the adult calico, who had been in heat.
Two of the 20 cats are still here, because my friend who places barn cats will take them very soon.

This little black tux girl is still here but will soon be leaving with her brother, below.

Tabby on white young adult male, here still with his sister, but not for long.
So that was my day, and those are the 20 cats who got fixed.  13 girls and 7 boys.  And that's where they are now a day after they were fixed.

There are more cats out there needing caught.  Big Blondie's bro for one and he can't use one front leg, probably from a bite wound, from fighting.  Tis the season.


6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine getting 20 cats ready to go to the vet. I can barely get two there at the same time. Glad it all went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't either, was overwhelming until I decided to just do it anyhow.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I guess I "wowed" you. I love doing that.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:00 PM

    What an achievement. I guess white cats can't be barn cats because they are too visible to prey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is correct, Andrew. They stand out like a neon sign to predators and we have lots of predators in Oregon. Coyotes are deadly to cats, but so are bobcats and cougars and we have lots of those too. Along with foxes, hawks, owls and eagles. All kill cats.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...