Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Six Albany Cats Fixed Today. Portland Home Not a Fit For Sage.

Three photos, one above and two below, of the young abbytorbi spayed today from the Albany business. She was in heat but not pregnant.


Sassy's sister, a gorgeous torbi, from the Albany business, spayed today. No ear tip, hope to tame her.
Eviction cat, one of two sisters fixed from the ten eviction cats. I delivered both girls afterwards to a local vet clinic.
The other Eviction cat, spayed today. They are sisters.
From off Marian, the final female a man owns, of four. This cat had three kittens, two girls and a boy, who will need fixed in a few weeks. She was in heat again, but now, all four girls are fixed.
The young Corvallis tabby tux girl, who was pregnant at spay today.

I took six cats up to be fixed today. All six were females. Five of them hail from Albany. The sixth and only preggie is from Corvallis. Two girls were in heat, including the abbytorbi from the Albany business. She was not pregnant after all.

I then went on to the adoption interest in Sage. It was a neat cute house and really nice woman. But, when I pulled in, I knew it would not work for Sage. Every window was lined up in decorative glassware. Sage would destroy that home in one "tear". The woman had other collectibles in cubby hole type displays on the walls. I could picture Sage standing on her back legs on the couch and pulling those treasures out to fall one by one, for sport.

This is a house in need of a cat who can't jump and has far less energy than Sage has. On Friday, they are adopting Valentino!!!! He can't jump and if tries, it's a slo mo jump effort. He's perfect for them.

The woman is super nice. I want one of my cats to go there. But the fit has to be right, with a cat who won't destroy her beautiful treasures. Valentino's whiplike tail may prove problematic but despite his tank like build, he is not the swing from the rafters exuberant fat athlete that Sage is. Fat athletes try hard but their trip through glassware is like an elephant's journey through a field of eggs.

I could literally see the aftermath. I could hear the horror this woman would express upon waking one morning or upon returning from a few hours out. It gave me a sick queasy feeling in my stomach, to look at all the glassware and then at Sage. I know her mind.

So I packed her up and came home with her and the six fixed females.

I could not get ahold of the Eviction cat people and finally left the cats with the vet she'd made arrangements with yesterday. Her male is there now.

Last night, late, I tried drop trapping at the business. I wanted badly to catch that last preggie. Instead, the orange male sauntered up, went under the trap, but not to eat. He immediately sprayed it down.

Later, the preggie did show up, but did not come within four feet. Even the bait plate had been soaked down by that darn orange male.

I saw at least four cats while there, from a distance.

I caught nothing in the night there, in the one trap set.

The barn home offered up for the business cats fell through. They have too many predators, including a resident bobcat. They'd be dead within two months. Every one of them. City born ferals aren't used to the same dangers as country ferals. You don't relocate city ferals to the country and expect a good result.

This guy told me Lacomb dairy farmers are having mouse problems but can't get cats to stay put at their farms and dairies. The guy had been in Albany picking up four doomed cats from somebody and two more doomed cats for a neighbor. He claims they run off almost immediately. They probably just dump them out and think they'll stay and also that they won't get killed by the tons of predators roaming rural Lacomb, which in my opinion is cougar central.

Makes me very sad to think of the cats taken out there. One minute you are a house cat, warm and loved and the next, you're in a barn with piles of shit everywhere and cows stomping around or sheep. You don't know where food might be, or where you can sleep that is safe. You run, but unfortunately, there's something waiting for you, something who wants to crack your legs with a bite so you can't escape and then carry you back to their den, and drop you in front of their pups. You try to crawl away, as they circle you, inflicting bites until finally, mercifully, you're dead.

That's the fate of cats in the country this time of year, when mother coyotes, cougars and bobcats are teaching their young to hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...