Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Torti Continues to Try to Live

The Heatherdale torti is still trying to live. Without any guidance on the matter, I e-mailed the Neuterscooter and thank god she responded.

She said the cat initially has just a 25% chance of survival, but that goes up to 35% if they survive the first night. Whether she lives or not depends a lot on how long she went without O2 when she first crashed, she said.

She said she may be blind for two weeks and could take two weeks to come out of it, if she does survive and the only thing one can do is give good nursing care, sub cu fluids and quiet place to rest.

I felt better after getting her e-mail.

I returned the other seven cats. Seems a little empty around here lately. I've had six adoptions in the last couple of weeks. Stinod, Matilda, Turbo, Shaggy, Simba and Smolder have left us here. I'm really really grateful to get a few adoptions, however. I can't even say how much easier the workload becomes when even one gets a home.

Now to find homes for Rainy and Zuli. Both are over their ringworm and Rainy is about to be spayed. Zuli was spayed a long time ago. They are beautiful girls. Rainy shows no signs of whatever killed her sister, Forest.

Turbo's adoptor just adores him.

I've settled in, to coma cat care. I'm mostly over the angst of it. She rolls around like a restless sleeper at times. Sometimes she appears mostly awake, and is willing to take swallows of my concoction, which right now consists of pedialite, brewers yeast, karo syrup and nutrical. I'll make the other concoction tomorrow, if she is still alive, of blended up plain baked chicken, KMR and nutrical. Kittens who won't eat go for that and it usually inspires them to start eating, fed by syringe, warm.

I clean Coma Cat up when she poops, turn her, lug her around in my arms sometimes, or hold her while watching TV. I give her sub cu fluids, small amounts at a time, several times a day.

Mostly, she is in a large carrier on soft blankees in my bathroom, away from the hordes of worried cats out here. The first night, that big carrier stayed on my bed, so I could be right there with her, in her struggles. The other cats crowded around, anxious for her, and wanting to touch noses with her. Their purring and chirping I believe was likely comforting to her. She hears me when I chatter senselessly to her and likes to have me stroke her face. I know this because she'll open her eyes then, sometimes, blink, then slightly open her mouth, indicating she could take a few syringes full of nutrition and moisture.

I guess I think her chances are nil to next to nil.

I talked to the Heatherdale folks, who are emotional over it, and they want me to continue to try, to let her try to live if she can muster it. She does not appear to be suffering.

Someone else called about another long hair calico apparently on her own, not far from Heatherdale, but just across I5 from Heatherdale and down a bit. I know she was hoping I'd go trap that one and bring her here, but I can't take in every Albany stray.

As I was leaving the complex in Albany, after returning that tame stray fed there, a skinny Flamepoint saunters out into the street, apparently so ill or old or degenerated from disease he could not muster energy to move at anything more than a snails' pace. I pulled over and called to him "Hey there, what is wrong with you?" I implored. He did not even look my way when I yelled to him. He slowly moved across the intersection, walking in the middle of the road, and off into a driveway and up onto a porch.

I thought "is that cat owned, and in such terrible condition and who does that, allows a cat in that shape to roam?", but just because he was on a porch, doesn't mean he lives there. I am fed up with the behavior of people towards animals around these parts. I mean, what the fuck, who abandons old tortis and skinny ill flamepoints and black females and orange long hairs?

It is so common here, the disrespect for life and responsibility. I suppose it is common everywhere.

No comments :

Post a Comment