Friday, January 08, 2010

Interference

Elements beyond my control have interferred with catching the pregnant female. This morning, I drug my sorry body out of bed at 4:30 a.m. to go check the trap. Inside it, a very mild mannered HUGE raccoon. I pulled the trap out of the shed and let him loose. He ran like his life depended on it. I brought that trap home but I reset a clean trap.

Then I get a call this morning from the feeder woman. She was in tears. She had gone there this a.m., and the cat came out crying. She'd picked her up and carried her to her car where she had a carrier for her. But the minute she tried to get her into the carrier, things went haywire fast. The cat fought, scratched her arms, and vamoosed.

It's too bad too, because the cat had been right by the trap, and probably would have gone into it within half hour. Now, she's respooked.

At first I was frustrated with the woman for trying such a stunt, but I realized how many stunts I've pulled that have gone sour, when desperate to catch a cat. I realized she just wants to catch her badly, too. There's no villain out there, except that woman who abandoned them all in the first place.

So I told her "What will be, will be." And that' true. Not much you can do but hope for the best. I went and got three cans of "Recovery" at the vets'. Recovery is a canned food that is so smelly it attracts cats from miles, I swear. It's formulated to help sick cats who aren't eating, eat, and it works. I rebaited two traps with it, and now I'm going to bed.

That feeder woman is a really kind person. She was friends with the collector in the trailer, I think, sort of. She's got one of the dogs from there. She'd gotten a deputy, after the woman left for good, locking the dog inside the trailer, and they broke a window to get in. But the cats, nobody really cared that twenty cats got left behind.

I read in the paper about some big get together meeting called by the two counties on animal cruelty. I read how one man said that all these big wig animal people together there at the meeting was like an all star sports team, all the major league players there and I beg to differ, respectfully.

They don't know who the all stars are. Calling themselves all stars of animal cruelty action is a little overboard I think. Perhaps slightly arrogant. Am I bitter? Maybe. I know I am sleep deprived. That I know for sure. And I know usually it is not a good idea to make blog posts when I'm sleep deprived! On I go, yapping when I shouldn't......

They ought to quit talking, is my opinion, and hit the streets and actually enforce laws already on the books, which they don't do.

They ought sit out all night in a freezing car, while needing to pee, trying to prevent more unwanted kittens and suffering, by catching a pregnant cat.

They ought to work full time jobs then on their after hours, and usually with their own money, adopt out unwanted cats and kittens, transport cats to get fixed, and do clean up at a home converted into a shelter, because that's the scenario with KATA folks, and so many other small time nonheralded rescues and cat fixers, whom I now declare the real all stars. Hahahahaha.

Take that, you talking head paid all star heroes!

5 comments:

  1. I've been doing all my trapping during daylight hours. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with that but I always get results. The only thing I usually lack is money - like everyone else. And nowadays I also have to release previous TNR kitties a few times before I get a new candidate. :)

    As for the others, well, I guess some people have a big need for public acclaim and attention. I don't really have a problem with it if they're actually helping animals.

    What bothers me is all the "rescuers" whose solution to feral cats is to euthanize them. Now to me, euthanize is mostly just a pretty, sanitized word for murder. I don't think you save a village by destroying it and you don't save a feral cat by killing it. But that's my opinion and obviously the powers that be in animal rescue strongly disagree with me.

    I still think I'm right, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I made the comment because in Albany here, abandonment occurs every week and nobody ever gets charged. Abuse and neglect too. I've called for help, with collectors or neglectors about six or 8 times. The sheriffs office and police, depending on where I was, never did a thing. The most notable was that collector outside Lebanon of a few years ago, with feces piles three feet high in places. He couldn't come into the disgusting horrible trailer, that deputy, then claimed that was why he hated animal people, that they helped animals, not people. I invited to come help. I told him the only people helping this disturbed man were animal people. His church wouldn't help, nor his neighbors, nor mental health, only the animal people.

    The last one was the collector in Lebanon, another one, friends with the animal control officer for the county, who didn't help them get the cats fixed over the years, and in the end, handed them KATA people's private cell numbers, to call for help. No charges were made. It was awful.

    Then the Kelly road cats. Owners wanted them fixed but they were starving to death, so starved a calico's internal organs were shrivelled. I called the deputies, which was a huge mistake because then the people declared ownership although they told the deputy they did not feed them and the drunk old guy said he'd shoot them. The deputy made me return them, did not charge them, the cats all died. Pisses me off to think of even now. When you have a veterinarian saying they're starved to death and people claiming ownership but outwardly so they don't feed them. There's not much more of a clear cut case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyhow, that's why I had the gut reaction to the all star declaration. I don't know what they actually do to stop cruelty. I'm disallusioned with law enforcement's response to animal neglect and cruelty, especially regarding cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sounds like they do nothing at all..nothing to stop cruelty. they probably sit at their desks all day writing up useless reports about their time spent cruising round in their government vehicles.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...