Thursday, June 19, 2008

Coccidia Fest Continues in Spare Bedroom

The dripping diarrhea continues, in the spare bedroom. Today, I'm taking the metal trundle bed to the metal recycler, to get it out of there, because it's hard to clean. I had to remove and throw out all bedding I had on it, because the sick kittens were climbing up on it and dripping the coccidia laden diarrhea onto the bedding. Coccidia is hard to remove from bedding or even the environment. Have heard the only thing that kills it is ammonia.

The safety of the particle board floor, after they're gone, if these kittens are ever gone, is in doubt, since the particle board isn't sealed. I just painted it with primer, two coats, then floor and deck paint. But with ammonia I am sure I can kill any coccidia left. Steam also kills it.

The floor is bad anyhow, and soaking it in ammonia isn't going to hurt it anymore than constant mopping, which has disintegrated the particle board floor and deck paint I covered it with, in spots, to sawdust. This floor can't be painted, I've determined, and should have been covered with vinyl flooring or fake wood flooring, but that is expensive and time consuming.

Particle board should never be used to create a floor that is mopped. It's stupid. Really stupid, since moisture turns it to sawdust. But there are a lot of stupid building practises out there, unrooted in common sense, used because it's the cheap way.

I have become depressed dealing with this coccidia. Smokes is not thriving and has it the worst, but the others are not improving greatly either. At this point, I do not believe the three younger boys will, in the end, survive, and maybe not the tabby four either. Perhaps I should cut my inevitable losses now, and have all seven euthanized. The Wrecking Yard Mom's three survivors are the healthiest of the ten. It might be better to suffer the devastation of their loss now, rather than watch them die one by one.

Coccidia has a 28 day cycle.

The kittens scatter the clumping litter particles everywhere and I have just a dollar store broom and a mop to combat the daily stinky carnage. I have returned to using wood pellet fuel as litter since it is cleaner and doesn't make such a horrible mess. I wish I had some stainless steel cages of decent size, in which I could confine these kittens and the cleaning then would be far easier. I wish I wish I wish.

Saturday, I'm taking the four HTN kittens and their mother to be fixed in Tigard and I am taking up 8 of the eleven Pine Meadows kittens up also to be fixed. That Pine Meadows woman, who took in three allegedly abandoned females and their litters and also feeds three neutered stray males, tells me this morning she is moving in a month and can't take any of them along. I told her she needs to start advertising them all then, immediately. She seemed to think I'd take care of finding them homes or KATA, who referred her to me, to get the mothers fixed, will. I said, "Well have you talked to KATA about this?" She hasn't, of course. I told her I would not take in any of her cats or kittens and that she needs to start advertising them, especially all six now fixed adults.

It's dismal out there for the cats. Dismal.

Well, I took out the metal trundle bed and took it to the metal recycler. Got $6 for it, more than what I bought it and the other half of it for, at a garage sale. I'm getting rid of the bookcase also, and the little desk I got at one point along a curb somewhere. They are in the way of cleaning. Most of my books, journals and even photo albums were destroyed by the kittens pooping on them. I didn't think that would happen, but it did, so all those things, part of my past lives, are gone now, too. Kind of like having your precious things, photos and journals, things you can't replace, destroyed in a flood or fire. But, it's water under the bridge now and nothing I can do about it.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry its so hard, Strayer. I searched for cages (for you) online yesterday, but they're all so expensive :(.

    The coccidia sounds terrible -- I remember your great descriptions of those kittens and their 'sleepovers' etc. THank you for doing so much for them, it must be so difficult. This is a terrible thing to say but I would understand if you decided to put them out of their misery at this point :(. I worry for you and your good heart and how much you take upon yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the book, Whitesocks. I don't use my front door at all, come in the back, but I went out to water out front last night, and there was the book, between the regular door and screen door, in the mailer envelope. I couldn't believe it! I never use my front door. Maybe I should check it more often at least. Thank you. I"ve been going through it. Love it. Maybe I'll get something published.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...