Monday, March 10, 2008

Whisper Willow

(Update: I put on my reading glasses and low and behold, this is a girl kitten, not a boy kitten. I need to wear those glasses! So I gave her a yuppy duppy name for now--Whisper Willow. This will change. I promise.)
I got called by the Spicer people today. I met the wife out near the BS colony, when going door to door about unfixed cats. Her friend lives near the BS. I had asked if all her yard cats were fixed. She said "they are" and that they used SafeHaven vouchers to get them done. Then her friend piped up they had a mother cat show up with kittens. I tried to reach her a few times since then, but nobody would answer. The husband called me today.

I told him I'd get out there sometime, but couldn't say when. Well that when was today, late, after dark, but they acted like a stranger coming to their door in the dark, announcing herself as the cat woman, was nothing unusual whatsoever.

I had quit the Millersburg colonies trapping tonight, fed up with the attitudes of both caretakers. I did catch two more, both young.

These Spicer folks were nice and wanting to help. I had seen one orange tom run off when I walked through. The living area is fenced and uniquely decorated. A flag flies out front. The walkway is gravel. The wife has an herb garden in a greenhouse out back, which smells very nice, and I could smell it from the front of the trailer. I had to go around and look.

The husband said "the tame calico, when she comes by, she sleeps in there, but I haven't seen her in a few days."

I set two traps and took off, for the Red Bridge colony, a new one. I had called the woman last summer, when calling free kitten ads. She called me a few days ago. She is overwhelmed in cats.

There are three kittens about 8 weeks who immediately began following me around. The woman seemed relieved to have anyone sympathetic to cats to talk to. She and her husband are going at it over them. I told her she does have too many. In reality, they should have been fixed long ago, with her affiliations to an Albany vet and an Albany shelter. She's a nice lady. I wished I could have just grabbed them all for immediate fixing, to defuse the situation.

But I just trapped two. Both are all black. One she thinks is a male and one a female. The male has diarrhea. That's because she gives them milk each night. I chastised her for this behavior. Cats are lactose intolerant. She knows better, she says. She knows she needs to stop the milk.

Back to the Spicer colony, I had two cats in the traps. Both the orange boys. Beside one, crouched against the trap, sat a little 8 week old gray tabby kitten. The man says, "Well, he'll come to you. I don't know why he's latched onto that orange tom like that."

I said, "Maybe he looks like his mother." The kitten's mom had disappeared.

I called the kitten to me and stuck him inside my coat, with a firm grip on his scruff, as we walked back to my car. I named him Jimmy Whitefoot. The guy carried the trap with the orange tom inside and I had the kitten. I had the man open my car and get the carrier out I had inside and then open the door of the carrier, before I pulled the kitten out of my coat and put him inside the carrier. There were three. Two have disappeared with the mother.

I am hoping my Oakridge friend will take him in. She already found homes for the two from the DD (from south Corvallis), the torti and the orange tabby kittens, after they were fixed. A few days ago, she said she could foster a few more, if they were young and this guy is about seven or eight weeks.

I am hoping she can foster this one and the three from the Red Bridge. Taking the three kittens off that property might help the husband wife thing somewhat, I hope. I don't like fighting, not at all, or to even hear of it anymore. I want everyone to love each other and appreciate their families if they are lucky enough to have them.

So I've got two from Red Bridge, two from Spicer and two from Millersburg for fixing tomorrow. And I have another Spicer boy, like Mooki, only this one I hope to quickly foster out or adopt out. I got no more room here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday

 Sunday I was so slow getting going after the late night Saturday. But after cleaning litterboxes, giving KMR to kittens, feeding the ferals...