Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Photos of Berliny Bunch Colony Six Fixed Today

Six cats, from outside Lebanon, half the colony, are being fixed today, again, thanks to funds from Hillsboro based nonprofit Poppa Inc. If you can afford a few bucks, donate to Poppa (click Poppa donation link to left on my website to do so). The money goes directly into spay/neuter and, you can designate that the money remain in the mid valley, by asking that it be used to fund Jody's spay/neuter efforts right here, in Linn and Benton counties and it will be used here.

Young orange tabby tux male, being neutered today.
Gray tux, unknown sex, up being fixed today.
Muted torti, being spayed today.
Another muted torti, up being spayed today.
Muted calico, being spayed today.
Big orange tab adult male, being neutered today.

In other news, I'd contacted someone who rescued two male kittens and offered to get them fixed if it would help. She had agreed. But then I was contacted by someone who adopted one of them. I asked merely for a small copay and the woman came a bit unglued, saying she only adopted him because he was going to be neutered.

I wasn't sure how to handle this. I had asked if she was low income, then directed her to the SafeHaven voucher program and was telling her it was a great deal, and she could probably get her cat in right away for $10 through that program. But the woman wanted it done Monday for free.

I tried to explain I had offered the woman to get them neutered because they were strays, but adopting a cat is a responsibility and Poppa funds are made by the hard work of volunteers, so asking a small copay of someone who adopted a cat, even $5, for an owned cat, is reasonable.

She said she can't even afford cat food, and the woman had to give her cat food to feed the cat. So I don't understand how this would even be considered a viable home for a kitten, where the person cannot even afford to feed the cat. I don't know. It's touchy sometimes.

People get cats when they can't afford them, then expect others to pay the costs for food, litter, flea treatment, fixing. It'd be nice for people to respect the hard work and sacrifice of volunteers enough to make even a small copay for fixing and take on some personal responsibility, if they willingly adopt a cat and understand, adopting a pet takes commitment and some resources.

It's a tough call, since I did tell the rescuer I'd get the two fixed on Monday. I told her if she found them homes, to have the new adoptors call me about fixing. But when someone adopts a cat, I will ask for a copay.

It's another story if someone is attempting to help strays and find them homes.

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwww, bless your heart!! They are all so cute!!! I say that rhetorically - I am beginning to wonder what kind of God allows this tiny babies to suffer!

    A friend called to tell there was a Siamese cat at the SPCA (all we ha ve here) and I said "Oh, what kind, blue pr, seal pt?" She brought me back to earth by saying "S, it's a Siamese cat who needs a home. " I have gone to see ger and I think my cats will have tio adjust to a newcomer whether they like it or not, lol

    For the record, she is a Blue Point. But in truth, they are ALL cure- I was just asking out of curiosity but I understand how it is when so many cats are hard to place and in the area, some ppl do not like meezers- they are like black cats elsewhere. Some think them "wicked". Very strange. All my meezers are so lovable and kind and I adore every meezer - well every cat as far as that gos, loll - I have ever met!!

    Once, I brought in this cat no one would touch - a poor allegedly "wild" cat that even scared my grandmother who loved them all and she was feeding this one but she- and it was a she - wold hiss any time anyone came near her. Mad eme think of the comment that a ca who hisses and is ornory did not get enough love as a kitten and I set out to talk to her abd just her alone and spent hrs (fortunately it was spring and I was able to keep the Toms away and finally I trapped her!). No eay feat and everyone thought I was nuts.).


    Long story short, in about two weeks, she ws sleeping in bed with me- amazingly disease free except for some heart probs that I did not mind paying for. She must have given borth to 34 litters of kittens by then, all saved and s/n by my gram and the local vet but she herself had been elus=ive. They called me the cat woman after that and I took her to the vet on my knee!! I was young and too stupid to know I should have had her in a carrier but she went where ever I we nt and I was fortunate there were no probs and hetr spay went just fine. She was a huge poly tabby, just gorgeous and I named her Hayley after Hwyely Mills who at the time was my fav actress. As I said,m I was a kid at the time really.) She lived a great life and kept my gram company when I was at school and never really was all the friendly with the other cats but would tolerate them. She liked to hang out on my pillow so I gave it to her. I felt after all she'd been thru, she deserved it.

    I think of her often - and think of her at the Bridge. She died of a heart attack when she was about 18 or 19. (But she had been under the care of a vet cardiologist even tho we had to drive to another province for that so happen but I would have doe anything for her!)

    Anyway, thx for letting me tell you that one story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, a cat license in Lee County is $5 for a nuetered animal and $65 for an unnuetered animal. And you must have a license, just like a dog, although I don't think this is really enforced (just look at my neighbor with their half a dozen unnuetered animals). So by charging an extra $60 annual, they make it cheaper to take advantage of low cost spay/nueter program. And it's only $10 to microchip a nuetered cat or dog vs something like $70 for an unnuetered one.

    However, if you can't afford a pet, you shouldn't have one. The same should apply to children but there are many, many people that have children and can't afford them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siobhan, you sound like you got your start early, with Hayley, a cat woman that young. It's a proud title to wear! So you got the blue from the SPCA? Send me a photo! Siamese around here are elevated to high status. Everyone knows if you've got Siamese, you'll get hits on petfinder and adoptions. Even one will draw in the hits. Amazing that it is different up there. But, the problem of Siamese around here--too many back yard breeders. One summer, we cat women called it the Year of the Siamese, because we trapped so many Siamese feral colonies. Too many breeders dumping them, or trash people who get them, as fad, like pitbulls, then toss them like trash.

    Diamond Emerald, I've wondered if it works to make not fixing a pet, a financial liability, which is the only way some people react to their environment at all, if money is involved, either getting it or losing it.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...