Tuesday, January 08, 2008

No Sleep. Looking for New Place to Live.

I haven't had a decent nights' sleep since I moved into this house. The problem is the cat situation. Most are used to being outside all day, in my old cat yard, and so they are very unhappy. At night, they get into tiffs, repeatedly. This wakes me up constantly, over and over, or they rush around playing chasing each other knocking things over, waking me. With a cat yard, like at the old place, they wore themselves out during the day, so they slept nights.

When you have a lot of cats, if you haven't got things right, you'll get no sleep at night. They'll be too active. I have to go to rest areas to sleep in my car, to get decent sleep and I haven't done that for awhile, so I am so sleep deprived, constantly so sleep deprived I can't do a thing, but barely function.

Hopi is dying due to the issue of unhappy cats. Dex and Comet attack her when she tries to use the litterbox. She's so stressed over this she doesn't eat or has constant diarrhea. I have nowhere to seperate her from the bullies. Dex and Comet have reverted to being bullies out of boredom and unhappiness.

I tell my brother these things and he says he'll come up and finish the cat yard but he never does. He's too busy and too far away.

I am going to look for another place. I don't know if I can find something else, but things haven't gone well living here. What I am looking for is a small house, can even be a shack, with a small fenced yard with a landlord who is ok with the cat thing I do and takes HUD. Sound like an impossible dream?

I am hoping to find a place on the outskirts of Corvallis. I know this is wishing for a lot, especially finding a suitable place in Corvallis, and I probably will not be successful, but I may as well try, you know. Because I also very much miss the parks of Corvallis.

What I'm also going to try to do is at least get the room in the garage usable. The door currently won't close, due to shifting I think in the garage floor. I'm not much of a door hanger, I'm telling you, that is an art.

But I'm going to take it off today and cut an inch off the top, and then reinstall it and hope I do it right so it will close afterwards. Then I could at least carry the cats I can carry back and forth to that room. There they could look out at least at the mud in the yard. And better yet, I couldn't hear them.

As for the run from the house to the little garage room, it was never done. Since it has to be ceiling high, over the car and around the garage door that opens, I don't know if I can do that. I'm not any good anymore working with arms overhead. But I'm going to try. As for building a cat door, from the house into the run, well I've never cut a hole in a wall before.

My brother tells me this is my house, although it isn't, never will be, and I don't want it. Hey, I live on disability, can't afford a house's maintenance, taxes or even utilities or rent, without HUD. But, since he said that, I'm going with it in regards to trying to survive here and I'm cutting the damn hole in the wall for the cat door. The electricity will be off. I'm not into taking shock treatment from cutting into electrical.

I'm going to wire my sleepy tired painful self into gear today, with caffeine if need be and Aleve, and see what I can do to get some of the cats out of the house into the garage room.

I don't have as many cats here currently as I often did when I lived in the Corvallis shack, just seems like more, because they're all confined inside and that can mean trouble for the sole human.

I will start looking for somewhere to rent over in Corvallis, too. I can only try and maybe I'll happen into a great situation. I won't if I don't look.

The other thing I got to do something about is the latch lever on the back door of the car. It's hanging, flapping with every stop and start of the car, completely free of the back door now, except for the electric cord. I have it tied to the rear window wiper blade, which looks crappy, with dollar store plastic clothesline. We white trash are good at such makeshift make do.

But, I was trying to peer inside that plastic crap latch lever, where it used to attach to the rear hatch door, and I think I can upgrade the makedo repair from clothesline to zipties. I love zip ties and if I can find something behind that latch lever, under the panel on the inside of the back door, to ziptie that thing to, that will be a better makedo.

So anyhow, I'm on it today. First however I have to trap four Millersburg cats and return four from Independence.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:06 PM

    Jody,

    Have you ever tried one of the videos they make for cats to watch on tv? I got one for my 3 indoor cats and one of them just loves it. Will watch it for hours if I leave it on and forget about her. Might entertain some of your crew until you can get your cat yard.

    Do you have a DVD player or a VCR? If so tell me which and I'll send you a copy.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both a DVD and VCR. So, good idea! They are keeping me up big time! Today I did a lot trying to make a run from the house to the garage room, but it is killing my back, so I need to go at it a bit slower. I got some more supplies and wire at the Habitat Store in Corvallis. Love that store and the people who work there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although, I have not used the VCR for maybe 8 years. Could be longer. So, not sure if it really still works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey jody
    i hate to hear of your plight with the housing, especially when one considers what you do to help all the cats. i don;t know much about benefits and stuff in the US, but can your brother sell the (your) house and buy (you) another one in an area more suitable to your needs?
    i also love to watch nature programmes so maybe your cats will be intrigued by them too? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, he originally intended to do just that. Then crash went the housing market and now I don't think he's into it. Would probably have to do some repairs and appliance replacement, or something, you know, to give it an edge for someone wanting to buy. But you never know. And then the problem is compounded by, what do you do if it sells and another place can't be found. The HUD thing is kind of a trap in all this. I only have so long before terminating one place, to get another, is the thing, or I lose HUD, then I couldn't afford rent. Finding a place in Corvallis with a couple months of selling this one, so as for him to have the money, be real complicated. I don't think now he intends to do this, hence the decision to start looking for a rental. I have looked at two so far. Nothing in my price range, however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hang in there jody! the market will recover and then maybe things can move forward, it may take a bit of time though...i hope however that you find some place that makes you feel happier for yourself and your little babies.

    the housing benefit and incapacity benefit system here in the UK is tricky too. and once something changes then they stop the benefits and you have to make a fresh claim which can take weeks to process!

    good luck anyway! x

    ReplyDelete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...