Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Male Who Didn't Make It

The big orange male from the Hate Thy Neighbor colony was too sick to fix. In fact, he could barely breath and has been sick several months. Many of the other cats are also sick, but none as bad as he is. I took him back to the caretaker and asked what he wanted to do. He decided to take him in and have him euthanized. I spent half last night trying to get him better. I didn't bring any of these cats inside my house, but did hook up a vaporizer to an extension cord and steamed them, as I have before, in my car, to help loosen up the congestion. I gave them anti biotics in food and wormed and treated all for fleas. He let me clean his gunked over eyes and nose, too. But he still would breath with mouth hanging open and I knew there wasn't much hope for him.

The others from there being fixed today are two black and white big males, a black and white pregnant female, a calico, and a torbi tux female. Also being fixed, the orange tabby teen female from the BS colony. Six in all. And the seventh, this big orange guy, is leaving our midst today.

Curses to those who fail to provide the most basic of care to their pets, then abandon them like trash. Blessings to folks like this old man, feeding strays, as best he can.



3 comments:

  1. that poor orange guy. he tried so hard. i hope that the man whose been feeding them will learn how to maybe take a little better care of them from you. i'm sure he was overwhelmed but you could be his guide. fingers crossed
    i borrowed 2 of the kitten pictures from the hate thy neighbor colony and put them on my blog. looking at the pic's i'm so glad they have you to help them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to take them back, but am cat overwhelmed here and haven't had an adoption in ages. Hard to know what to do. I asked KAT to take them. No response. They seem to reply only when they want me to do something for them, seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw the poor little guy...this is such a sad tale. those poor kittens on your post below, they made my heart ache. when i was in thailand a few years back i went to a temple where they feed stray cats and dogs - but that is all they do - nd the kittens and puppies were in a terrible state (pussy eyes etc). i often think about them :( i wish i could set up a cat rescue centre in bangkok...

    here, on my very own doorstep, there is a guy (a rag and bone man) who LOVES cats, but in the wrong way. he had three females who kept giving birth, one time the mother rejected the kittens after a couple of weeks so he started feeding them babyfood...all the kittens died. after that, i and others insisted he get his three femaes fixed, which he did eventually with the help of a local charity.

    ReplyDelete

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...