Saturday, June 16, 2007

Goodbye Hoffa. Goodbye Jack. Goodbye Smolder and Goodbye Jumping Jenny, too.

Today, after building a second relocation cage, out of scraps of hardware cloth from my old shack's cat yard, I took Hoffa, the big Siamese from Clover Ridge, and Jack, the tame black and white from Clover Ridge, down to their new Veneta barn home. The woman who took them in, gave me some chocolate mint plants to bring home, after crushing some of the leaves and telling me "Get a whiff of this". The smell was unbelievably good. I picked and crushed more leaves and snorted the almost intoxicating aroma. She also gave me some sulfamide to use in water to treat coccidia.

After returning, I was able to get M's sister Lisa's help, to haul the large containment cage I made to house Jumping Jen and Smolder, for their Albany barn home relocation. She has a pickup. The cage itself, being just wire, clipped together, was light as a feather, but too big to fit into my car. I also had thrown together a couple of carpeted shelves for this airy large cage. The pair should do great out there.

These are really nice people, too. The woman loaded me up with catnip plants, some homegrown catnip, cat toys and gave a donation---dream adoptors!

This leaves me Twister, Frap, whose absess is now draining, and little Sweet Pea to find homes from from the Clover Ridge fiasco.

The last couple of days have been trying, to say the least. Taking care of all these extra cats, many in makeshift cages and even large live traps, is stressful and time consuming. Then adding on my daily chores with the rest of the cats, trapping for fixing, washing cloths and dirty cat laundry, washing dishes, cleaning litterboxes, making the two new containment cages, trying to find homes for the cats.....yesterday, I became so exhausted, I literally could not move anymore and collapsed on my couch, quickly falling asleep.Jack, temporarily in a large carrier, at his new home.
Hoffa, the massive Siamese, has already fallen in love with an older female Siamese on the property already. Love at first sight, and she, well she was already sleeping atop his containment cage. I think Hoffa is going to like his new home.
The woman also keeps llamas, for a friend who rescues them. This is one with a severe overbite, I'd say, although I don't know much about llamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...