Saturday, September 06, 2008

The Girl Kitten with the Bad Eye. Robinhood Gets His Home.

I finally got Robinhood to his new home today. It's a great home with someone who works at OSU. Their house is beautiful, although from the little side road, all you really see, is a garage. It's just gorgeous, however, once inside, airy, and light, hardwood floors, open spaces, big friendly welcoming deck. Just beautiful and the people are very open and friendly also. I think Robin has a great chance at his new life right there. He immediately began rubbing up against the woman and her kids in happiness.

The woman who feeds the Millersburg trailer cats had said her mom, who lives in Jefferson, would take in the kitten with the eye needing treatment. HOwever, when I called her this morning, she said she couldn't take in the bad eye kitten, because her landlord says no more animals and she is worried she might get scratched. Her daughter had not told her she is feral.

She also feeds strays so I told her, that's fine, if you get them fixed. She began backing off then, saying it's not her problem, to get them fixed, that she isn't interested in trapping them to take to an FCCO clinic, that she guesses she'll stop feeding them then, if she should get them fixed and that someone else should do that anyhow.

I promptly hung up on her. I told her right now I am incapable of hearing more of this.

I'm sick of people who think plopping down a plate of food for strays is ethical if you don't take the next step and get them fixed, especially with easy cheap to free programs available like the FCCO clinics. You can even borrow traps from the FCCO to trap cats to take to their clinics.

What this demonstrates is laziness and irresponsible behavior. If you feed strays, you are responsible for getting them fixed. Otherwise, you're just another part of the problem.

So the Millersburg girl kitten now is my issue, to treat for the eye problem. I didn't think the Jefferson woman would take her in. Why? Because her daughter feeds strays and doesn't get them fixed either. So I guess in my mind I figured her mother wasn't going to take her in, for some reason.

Having a soft heart means you also have to have a tough heart and a committed heart, and get those strays you feed fixed and treated. Feeding a stray is nothing. It's easy.

But it's a weakness to feed a stray if you do not go the extra mile, and find a way to get that stray fixed, and, if need be, treated for its ills. Especially when provided information about easy free ways to get that done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...