Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Quick Trip to Portland

Yesterday, a dog rescue person, asked me to go with her to Portland today, to pick up broken bag dog food, at a warehouse, in her van. I had said "yes", but then regretted doing so when I didn't get to bed this morning until after 2:00 a.m.. I was out way too late trapping at Millersburg Country.

But I went anyway, after returning the Corvallis male, early, then dropping off three cats at the vet.

However, the van this woman recently bought for a grand, was severely infested with mold, because it leaks and has an old carpet inside. The stench of mold was extremely significant, so much so that I had to hold my shirt over my nose all the way to Portland and back. She needed help loading the bags of food. Turns out, she wouldn't have needed me because another group there, also to pick up broken bag food, had some strong people, who loaded the van for her. We didnt' lift a finger. They were really nice people. Now and then, she also gets cat food, some, not much and this time, none, but the other group gave me some cat food, which was nice.

I was exhausted. The woman suggested stopping by the vet on the way home, to see if the cats were ready, but it was just past noon and I figured they wouldn't be close.

I get home, however, and there was a message from the vet, that they were ready. They had given fluids to the lactating mother and reversed her. I'd asked them to do that, because I had laboriously flushed out and netted, in the people's garage, one of her kittens, to see how old they were. He stayed the night with his mom, in the trap, then I took him out and put him briefly in a cage, in the garage room, with two of the three kittens from the BS back barn, today, while his mom was spayed.

But I took him and his mother back, this afternoon, and turned her loose, which is always a crap shoot. But, her kittens were too young to survive another night without her. She allegedly has four, living under the house. I could only catch one, but had seen another.

I had been told they were older and then I was told they had disappeared altogether. Anyhow, it's always hard out there, in overpopulation land, suffering catland, not knowing if my decisions are the right ones or not.

I took the Millersburg Country male back home, too, and asked that they monitor him after surgery, releasing him in the morning. I took the Heatherdale stray black male to the kind old couple caring for him. They paid for him to have shots and are going to try to find him a home. He is the latest abandonee there.

Then I came home and promptly fell asleep on the couch, waking only now, near 11:00 p.m. I hope to get the mom and four male kittens from HTN fixed this weekend, so the boys can be put up for adoption and the feral mom released, although currently she is also taking care of the third BS back barn kitten, the female I found yesterday. The other two back barn kittens are in my garage room in a tiny little cage, but all I have, currently. The HTN man is going to foster them, once the four boys are fixed and can be out of the rabbit hutch.


Millersburg Country gray tab on white male, fixed today.
Millersburg C&G lactating torti, spayed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...