Thursday, January 24, 2008

Senior Dog Rescue Gets A Ton of Money

Senior Dog Rescue is getting a ton of money and a national news story done on them. Good for them. I guess I'm slightly jealous. I'm glad they're getting the money. I always feel like an outcaste, among the accepted animal people in the area. When I walk into Petco, they're always helping this animal group or that animal group, but not me. Why? Because I'm not a nonprofit. I'm not a nonprofit because it costs so much money to become one and you have to have at least three people for a board.

That Maddies' Fund money Senior Dog got? I saw that contest on petfinder. I couldn't go after it because I'm not a nonprofit.

I've helped thousands upon thousands of cats, never gotten an ounce of recognition or any community support locally unless I write letters to the paper. I never went nonprofit because I've never had the money to go nonprofit. And I've never been able to find even a second volunteer. Part of this is an inability to get press coverage. Never one story done on any of the hard luck kitties I've rescued. I've tried, but partly because of my past in the mental health system, my hard life, isolation, I'm not good in knowing how best to approach people, and the local papers seem almost hostile to the work I do with animals.

I guess this all really doesn't matter much to me, although sometimes I feel very much alone. Getting awards or paper articles means publicity and publicity means money and maybe more volunteers. Publicity is everything. Senior Dog Rescue gets publicity in the local paper often. I have never been successful at it. The last guy who ran the local paper in Corvallis hated me, mainly because of me speaking out about the mental health system. This goes way back. He was tight with NAMI.

Well, nice they're getting all that money. But I'm kind of jealous, like I say, not only because they get so much community support and publicity, but it kind of like, for some reason, still makes me feel unacceptable, all ties in to my past and all that. Not sure why.

But who needs to be accepted anyhow, right? It's not all its cracked up to be. I really am glad a local group got that big money. I will be watching the report on them on the national news, too, with enthusiasm.

I'm just in a bad mood. Don't like all this pain. Something happened to my left hand, too, can't grip anything, causes pain down the back of my middle finger into the back of my hand.

I remember really messing things up, trying to work on that overhead cat run, but not many specifics, except for the one big incident, when the heavy six foot piece of run, weighed probably 90 pounds or so, began to slip, when I was trying to tack it up. I had a safety rope on it, actually just dollar store laundry line, but one end got out of it.

I was on a light ladder, which also began to lean as I tried to keep the run from falling. It's all a blur memory now. But it all came crashing down, me with it, and there was pain afterwards. And much more pain later on.

Last night, I was awakened twice in screaming back pain, which roared in a line down to my knee, lighting it afire, then down the side of my calf to my ankle. I moaned and groaned and tried to shift the cats off me, so I could find a less painful position, and they'd get uppity then, over my shifting, and so I'd just go back to sleep. I had lots of ice bags I was sleeping on and around. And I slept ok, in the end, despite waking up a few times.

Here's a good thing: caught two more at Berliny Bunch last night, took them up when picking up the first six done, which were four girls and two boys, then they said they could do them today. So they're being done today. I'll return the first six later on. And the people caught four more this morning. She thinks they are done. They are not. I saw two more black and whites, two gray and whites, then there's the big black honking male and another orange male. So there were at least six left to catch. She caught four. That means there are at least two more. I told her to get a trap up there and set again. I believe the ones not yet caught are the latter two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...