Monday, November 19, 2007

Les Schwab's Dishonesty

In mid August, I went to Schwab with another flat tire. At that time, I told the manager the tires I'd bought there were not holding up at all, had almost no tread left, despite having close to 10,000 miles left on the warranty.

What I got, shocked me. The manager told me, in accusatory fashion "We know what you do with that car." I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I was worn out, suffering menopausal symptoms and just not expecting to be treated like dirt at a Schwab store.

He went on to accuse me of using the car like a mail truck, with frequent stops and starts on every block, when I deliver cats. He insulted the smell of my car, which of course smells like cats and cat urine, from transporting cats. I tried to defend myself. He claimed they would no longer honor tire mileage warranties, because of how I use my car. Then later he said they'd honor one more set of tires, if I bought them there, with the warranty but never after that.

I was so worn out and taken off guard with such an attack, that all I could think of to say, was "Your founder would be horrified at your attack upon and discrimination against a volunteer who spends her time and money helping others."

What Schwab was doing was intimidation, so they would not have to honor their warranty on a very bad set of tires, that were already bald and dangerous.

Someone I know told me her boyfriend truely abuses tires by routinely driving at excessive speeds. He often gets tires that have worn too quickly replaced FREE at Schwab. Is this a good old boys club or what?

I could not locate a Schwab's address on their main website which is likely why they claim there are few complaints, because it is extremely hard to find somewhere you can complain about unfair treatment and failure to honor a warranty, with Schwab stores. I finally filed a complaint with the Oregon attorney general's office. They claimed they immediately sent a letter to the Corvallis 9th Street Schwab about my complaint, but I have heard nothing.

The tires are dangerously worn. I have to get new ones somewhere, most likely it will be at a junkyard. A simple test one can do, to see if you have adequate tread is to insert a penny upside down in the tread. If any of Lincoln's head shows, you need new tires. Well, with my tires, all of Lincolns' head shows, as it did in August, when Schwab told me I had plenty of tread and treated me like dirt beneath their feet.

Hey Schwab, your customer service and integrity are nonexistant.


3 comments:

  1. what a bunch of shysters! i bet the tyres weren;t new in the first place and have just ben re-treaded - a common trick in the tyre trade! i hope you get a good resolution to this Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate les schwab and I'll never go to them for anything again. Do you still have the warranty papers? I dislike them so much I can't even think of enough bad things to call them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do still have the warranty papers. Retreads sold in the US are supposed to be labeled retread in the DOT code, which, if retreaded, should begin with "R". I can't read the DOT code on these tires, they're so worn. I'm going to use a magnifying glass tonight. Yes, they're awful there at that store, the way they treated me, it was such a shocker, I couldn't think of anything to say, I was so shocked. It was a horrible way to behave to a person, a customer.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...