Monday, June 18, 2007

Six Cats Fixed

Six cats were fixed today, courtesy of Poppa Inc. Two were owned females from Corvallis. One of these was referred to me by her son, who lives in the homeless camps, or did, when I was getting the cats out. The other owner I contacted off of craigslist. Her daughter had posted kittens needing homes. I asked if the mom cat needed fixed and she said "Yes" and that it was her mother's cat and had already had four litters. So both those females got fixed.

I also had trapped three more at the Millersburg Country colony---two males and an in heat female. Heartland took in the two kittens I hand grabbed yesterday at the colony, out behind a shed. Heartland does not take in Linn County cats, but when space is available, they take in cats from local rescues. God bless them.

They agreed also to take in the five older kittens. I had described the plight of these cats out there. I have no funds anymore. In other words, I'm broke. The Clover Ridge cats have broken me, financially, and I still have two here. Oh yeah, Heartland also took in Sweet Pea today, the little bad eyed torti from Clover Ridge.

First Frap, the black and white male, had a huge absess blow up one cheek, from a fight. That burst and he's fine now. But now Twister has a massive absess hanging off one cheek, too. He's sick with it, and barely eating.

Tonight I held him, in the garage, and held a warm washcloth soaked in Epson salts to the side of his face. All four of the big males had cat fight wounds, serious ones, and still, all tested negative for FIV, thankfully.

Anyhow, Frap quickly recovered from his absess. I suppose it took a few days. Twister's came on slower, even though part of his face is bitten almost off. I guess he fought off the infection successfully until he went under anesthesia, for neuter, which lowered his immune system. Frap had his from the start.

I'm not sure if it was a cat fight, a coon or a dog who had gotten ahold of him. He seemed ok, until yesterday, when the absess balloon emerged. I began him on clavamox and the Epson salt soaks and hope he doesn't have to get it lanced. He's sure not feeling good, very clingy, and is drinking a lot of water.

I don't have the money to take him in. Man those cats cost me. Man oh man. I am broker than broke.

So anyhow, I am very grateful to Heartland for helping out, since that ten cat rescue just was enough to do me in. I ain't rich and get very few donations to cover all these costs involved, even the little costs, like more cat food and cat litter and dish washing and laundry. Everybody's gone now, of the Clover Ridge gang, except Twister and Frap. Frap is well and ready to go, a very nice boy indeed, too.

So tomorrow, I'm going to let the caretaker's neice trap four or five more out there. We'll be after a pregnant female, the female whose five kittens I just took from her, the female whose two kittens I just took, a female who was just impregnated by a big black tux male, and the black tux male. There are more, but these are the next targets. The black tux male is dominant, well, he and an all black male, about equal at the top. That is until a couple days ago, when the black got the hell beat out of him by the tux, or the big brown tabby male, that comes up the road after sex and fights and food. That'll end, too.

Well anyhow. I know how to create peace among the cats. I get all the balls and ovaries cut off and out. You can't just wish for peace among the cats. You got to create it surgically. And that's I bet how it could be done with us humans, too. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...