Sunday, August 23, 2026

Cat Round Up Day

 Today was cat round up for tomorrow.

I had three caretakers registered for the five spots.   However, one lady, with two, did not reply when I requested phone call confirmation by last night.   There's no sense doing anything but moving on when that happens.

The Albany couple whom I've helped with a whole lot of cats over the years caught one of the boys they were after--Leonard, a polite year old gray tabby.  He loves to eat.  He's eaten like three cans of wet food.  Hope he poops before the drive to the clinic or, well, will be a smelly drive.  Something about a car ride, and....out it comes.

Leonard

Out in the middle of nowhere, a lady had caught another female that showed up with kittens.   She caught the kittens first, then the mom.  She had the kitteens in two cages when I arrived and the mom was in a live trap.

She lives along a very long narrow bumpy gravel driveway on a dead end road.      She has an old friendly yellow dog who pads around, never far from any excitement to be had.

I set two traps of mine, one at a time, inside the cage holding two kittens.  Got them both in live traps for the trip home.  By this time I knew the lady with two of my spots wasn't going to respond to me and these kittens would go in their place.   The third kitten can be fixed a week from tomorrow, when I have more spots.

Tiny Tuna, the mom cat from middle of nowhere

Puffin, one of the two kittens going

Crabs, the other kitten


I admired how nice her live trap is.  That's when she told me it belongs to Silverton Cat Rescue.  My eyebrows raised.   I bet they'd like that back, I said.  She thought it was a year ago they helped her get five fixed and took in kittens from her.   I texted Viv, the director, once I had two of the kittens and the mom inside my car, and told her I had one of her traps to return.

I got home and set them up in my surprisingly hot garage.  I thought today was supposed to be quite cool, and it was compared to most summer days but still the garage had heated up.  And to my surprise, when I finally watched news, its going to be over 90 tomorrow.  Wow, I should check more often.  At least all five cats will recuperate with their caregivers, and not in my hot garage which could get to 130 degrees on a 90 plus degree day.  

This evening, the Albany couple caught another boy--Ballsey, big and buff.   They have three more to catch, they said, needing fixed, and so they have 3 of my five spots next Monday.


Ballsey from Albany

I love it when people catch their own cats and I just kind of coordinate and maybe loan traps or pick up and transport to clinic.   I've become a lady of leisure, don't you think?




5 comments:

  1. You speak too soon about being a lady of leisure, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah....but even if its just for a few weeks, I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. I think you have transitioned nicely to the next phase of cat fixing in having people catch their own cats. Now, if you could only rely on finding more people like that you'd be set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your 'cat Ubering'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time some of these people helped out with the whole endeavor.

    ReplyDelete

Cat Round Up Day

 Today was cat round up for tomorrow. I had three caretakers registered for the five spots.   However, one lady, with two, did not reply whe...