Saturday, August 29, 2026

Black Saddlebags

 Yesterday evening, I had a wonderful thing happen.

A couple, whom I've helped with cats over the years, bought and brought me a screen door for the garage, so I could get airflow and not swelter in there and to make it safer to recuperate cats in the garage in hot summer months.

This same couple, when my car broke down years ago, loaned me one of theirs, so I could actually go to my brothers for either Christmas or Thanksgiving, I can't recall which so many years later.

They didn't need my help, when I offered, to install the screen door.  This was wise on their part.  They installed it quickly, like a team, while I sat in the zero gravity lawn chair.

While I sat there, I was astounded by small hummingbird acting things, flitting and hovering by--at least three of them.  What were they?   I couldn't get a picture.  They were too fast.  They were smaller than a hummingbird but acted like hummingbirds.   

I took a video finally and then later went through it frame by frame to see if I could find a focused shot good enough to make an id.  

Here's the frame I found that allowed me to id what I was seeing.


I uploaded it to google's ai and found out its a Black Saddlebag Dragonfly.

Wikipedia on Black Saddlebags.

 How interesting is that?   Fascinating I thought.  

The screen door is fabulous.  Gigi can peer out at the world in fresh air, when she's so inclined, although she can already get plenty in the cat yard.  Rascal, if he shows up again and lately he hasn't, can peer inside the garage too.   When he does show up, I let him in the garage now.   I'm pretty sure he has a home a block away, well really just down the block, but can't confirm.  I knocked on that door when looking for an owner when he first showed up in the area, and the guy said he had a male outside mostly cat but declined that the young black male I call Rascal was his.  But that's where I see him most.

Today it is forecast to barely reach 70 degrees out, with maybe some drizzle.   Be a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Black Saddlebags

 Yesterday evening, I had a wonderful thing happen. A couple, whom I've helped with cats over the years, bought and brought me a screen ...