Friday, July 24, 2026

Sisters

 The town of Sisters is located on highway 20, the same highway that travels through Albany, Lebanon and Sweet Home, then on out and up through the Cascades to Sisters a central Oregon iconic town.   Highway 20 is joined by highway 126, that snakes up the McKenzie valley, out of the Eugene area, past Cougar and Blue River Reservoirs (places I used to go often), the trail to the infamous Blue Pool (Tamolitch) where immortal young people get hurt and die at extraordinary rates, jumping into the 36 degree water from a height and on to Clear Lake, where the McKenzie begins, before joining highway 20.  Highway 22 heads out of Salem, north of highway 20, east past the N. Santiam towns like Stayton and Mill City that burned partly in 2020 and Detroit, to veer south and join highway 20.

Three Highways to Sisters. 
 Highway 20 is in the middle out of Albany, barely visible as its not as travelled as highway 22 to its north nor 126 to its south out of Eugene. However it is the one that continues on, after the junctures, to the east.


Sisters is named after the three mountains south of the town, in the Cascades.  Collectively they are called the Three Sisters.  Faith, Hope and Chairty.  On a clear day, they are visible from where I live,   From Waldo Lake, two of the sisters are visible to the North and a bit east.

The town of Sisters is now a hipster haven, with trendy expensive artsy shops.  A lot of wealthy people and even celebrities have second homes in the surrounding area, which includes the gorgeous revered Metolius River and Camp Sherman.  It is a mecca to outdoors people seeking adventures.

The last time I went to visit the Metolius was in the winter, in the search for Bella, the cat who went down over the mountain in the car at Tombstone Pass with her young driver who missed the corner, never to be seen again.   I had not been given an accurate location for the accident and finally decided to go visit Camp Sherman's iconic store and the river itself, although the store was closed for the winter.   

The Metolius


Sisters is very close to being consumed by the Akawa Butte wildfire.

Only the north end of Sisters is under any evacuation notices at this time, however.  So its not like the town is doomed.  Winds shift.  Weather changes.  We all hope Sisters will once again beat the odds and be safe.

Story yesterday on public broadcasting about the Akawa Butte Fire.

Yesterday I went up to the Reservoir.  My knee only hurt on the drive back and then most of the night, punishing me for my indulgent trip to the lake.  I can't swim with my bad knee right leg.  I can frog kick with my left leg and swim with my right arm so I don't turn in circles, lol.  May not be an ordinary sight but works for me.   It was very pleasant there.   I had to get out and do something, was going nuts with the sheer isolation of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sisters

 The town of Sisters is located on highway 20, the same highway that travels through Albany, Lebanon and Sweet Home, then on out and up thro...