Thursday, August 22, 2024

Good Luck Kitties

 


Exhaustion from all the efforts to catch cats in Lebanon and Waterloo and get them fixed has given way to happiness.  I have to let go of things I have no control over.  Like the situation with my friend, or former friend, and the cats she has fed.  I don't know if she's feeding them anymore, and there's no way to know.    I'll try to catch the last of Growler's kittens later on, and Growler herself again, to relocate to a kinder place, although she won't stay where she's at without kittens tying her to that place.   Often a female is pregnant, out and about, and goes into labor somewhere other than where she usually lives.  Then she's in a bind and has to stay put sometimes in an awkward or dangerous place, to care for her kittens.

Yesterday I delivered Pepper, Sassy and Charlie, three very bonded cats from that big situation in Lebanon, to Silverton Cat Rescue, who took them immediately to a new barn home placement they had scouted out and prepared with a cage set up for the three.   They will acclimate for several weeks very comfortably before release.   

They find the best situations!  

With the two kittens at Julie's in Lebanon from the same location, five cats are now out of the city park, while 7 others have been fixed and returned, to await placements.   That's over a third of the cats there now fixed and/or gone!  In just a week.

Placing them all won't be an instant endeavor, but with these three, we got a start on it.

Also yesterday, the three Waterloo kittens went to a foster lady who also finds them homes.  So the house is back to semi normal status.

The weekend is coming and I'll be catching or trying to catch four more at the city park in Lebanon.  It's a pretty passive endeavor there--sit around in a lawn chair with the drop trap set up.   Wait for unfixed cats to go under it.  I have five spots again Monday.  The fifth spot will be filled by the one unfixed Waterloo kitten now named River.   The Waterloo kittens are absolutely gorgeous and also not very wild.  SCR has another barn home opening for two cats.  So two more get out of there.

I finally mowed the backyard dandelion crop down.   It looks good now.  Won't last but I was happy to get that done.   Today we're supposed to get rain, tomorrow too, maybe a bit Saturday.  It's too bad because this is the Art and Air Festival weekend, but most of the rain will be gone by Saturday morning at least.  I used to always go to Night Glo, the concert and lit up balloons on Friday night.   I don't think I"ll go this time.   The band lined up doesn't appeal to me and neither does the Saturday night main event concert--country music, like we don't have enough of that in the valley already.  It's tiresome.  If you like anything outside of country music, you got to go somewhere else to experience it.  I can't stand country music, never have been able to get myself to like a bit of it.  I grew up on rock.  I also like jazz, classical, some blue grass, celtic, a variety, just not country.

I'm giving away equipment I don't use, creating space in my garage.  I like moving out things I don't use anymore.  There are groups with younger people helping cats now and if I can pass on equipment I'm not using to groups that will, I'm doing it.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read that there is forward progress being made with the current crop of cats. The thing that keeps me away from most big events is the traffic. Sometimes (most of the time), the hassle is just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic, parking, angry people.....not so pleasant as staying home and reading a book.

      Delete
  2. An exhausting time but a v productive time too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, to work hard, get exhausted, then sit around a few days, feeling the glow of both dehydration, exhaustion and happiness. Something about it. Just kidding around.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad for good news (especially younger folks stepping up!) but sorry things aren't better all around. :( The only country music I enjoy is the old stuff from folks like Johnny Cash, which hardly qualifies; some of my favorites of his are rock music covers. :D Again, I wish you lived nearby; we have countless concert venues within a short/decent/moderate driving distance. And I still think you'd enjoy the young band Palaye Royale. Hugs, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I'd enjoy a lot of the young bands, with their energy! I do love concerts. But I'm not so much loving the blankee concerts, as I call them. No more dancing, mosh pits, just people defending their blankee laid out territories where they plop like dead logs and how can you not move to music.

      Delete
    2. Not being able to move with the music is criminal. lol I have fond memories of X-fest in Dayton, Ohio, when a reasonably priced ticket provided an entire day of music. They had stages set at opposite ends of the fairgrounds. My husband would drop me off, I'd rock out from one stage to the other until exhausted, and he'd pick me up that night. Good times...

      Delete
    3. That sounds fun, Darla!

      Delete
  4. Lots and lots of good news. I can't abide country music either, and people think that it's my thing. Weird. I mean, I can respect the genre, but I just don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've never liked it either.

      Delete
  5. I guess barn cat is a bit of a metaphor in that they have an outdoor sheltered and safe place to live a semi wild life while being fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This placement was actually a vineyard, where they want mousers. They'll be fed and sheltered and admired, from a distance, but it gives them a place to live, where they are wanted and cared for, even though born wild.

      Delete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...