Thursday, July 25, 2024

Got Mom

 Caught mom of the little kitten who died last night, late, at the complex in Lebanon.

Another Lebanon woman, much younger than me, by about a third, got involved, and trapped one of the two kittens remaining.  The other two kittens with her are very healthy.  What happened to the one who ended up in dire straits last Saturday, who knows.

But she had two more that appear very healthy.  The young mother was showing up late at the complex to eat.   The Lebanon woman caught one kitten with a kitten trap, then  said mom was there with the other kitten and she didn't have an adult trap.   So, about 11:00 p.m., I drove over with the drop trap and caught both the mom and kitten under it within 20 minutes of arrival.   The young Lebanon woman, trying to form her own rescue and TNR group, took the kittens.

I am always thrilled when young folk get involved.   We cat trappers are by and large older ladies.   I might be one of the oldest in these parts.

I hate to admit that.  

When young people start out there are mistakes and a learning curve.  Always.  That continues through life.  It's just that way.

I try hard to not to let my OCD nature nor my old age whining about young people stop me from encouraging younger trappers with my entire being.  They are the future.  I am the past.  And the present, I should add.

She messaged me afterwards with a compliment that made me smile.   She said "you don't fuck around" and also, "that was bad ass", referring to drop trapping mom and kitten so quickly.   This turned me red with embarrassment and pride both.  What nice things to say.   I felt good.

Mom

One of the two kittens caught.  Cora, the young rescuer, has both.

Here's to young moms, human and feline and to young humane cat trappers, jumping in, to learn, to make a difference.  May your traps be filled.


13 comments:

  1. That exciting to hear that you have a young student learning and willing to trap and fix cats. I see a great partnership forming and a gradual passing of the reins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really lucky to have met her and her friends. They're so darn young! But I like them a lot.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure the compliment was heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You aren't the past. ~shakes head~ Your efforts and tutelage are shaping a brighter future. ~nods~ Other than the poor little kitten that didn't survive, this post made me very happy. And your closing line is epic, though we hope this need eventually goes away. ~sigh~ Hugs, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind to me always. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Yay, another trapper in the mix. That's great. I hope you were able to share some wisdom with her. I know how hard it is for you feeling like you're doing this work all on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure as cat trappers of your generation move on, they will be replaced by younger people. More success by you and a good description by the young woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will rise up out of nowhere to fill the need.

      Delete
  6. I love that description of you (and recognise it too). And here's to be able to hand over your role in the fullness of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in the fullness of time. It gives me peace of mind to know there are others, younger, very competent.

      Delete
  7. Great to get the next generation involved!

    ReplyDelete

The Gills Landing Colony Saga

 I'd like to say I'm done with that large colony that the city of Lebanon doesn't want anyone to feed anymore, after the cats ha...