Thursday, February 08, 2024

Garbage Cart Disabled

 Last week, after the garbage was picked up at the curb, I couldn't pull it back up the driveway.  It was dragging.  I looked and saw one of its two big plastic wheels was gone.  I looked all over for it, then realized it must have happened when the truck dumped it with the auto arm into its back end and the wheel got sheered off somehow and went into the truck too.

I called the garbage company and told them.  They said they'd take the cart and leave a replacement after it was dumped this week, today.   In my mind then, I thought how in the world will I get it back to the curb to be dumped today missing a wheel.

And I found out last night after a long day in Portland with the 11 cats, how difficult that would be.   I couldn't drag it.  It's too far and too heavy.   I have a dolly but its lip is too short to fit under enough to lift it and lean it back.  Finally I used the dolly under the axle remnants, where the wheel was missing, to the side of the cart and had to pull the cart and hold the axle up with the dolly at the same time.  This is an extra large cart to accomodate cat litter.   It took everything I had left to get it to the curb.  

They haven't replaced it yet ,at nearly 11:00 a.m. and until they do, I can't clean up the dirty traps or dump litter anywhere.   Garbage take up here is very expensive.   And includes weekly yard debris cart pickup when there is no yard debris for the most part in the winter.

After finally getting the garbage cart to the curb last night, I was too worn out to even roll the recycling cart down, so it didn't get emptied this morning either.   Oh boy.

I returned four of the cats to the shop man last night, since he wanted to recuperate the black long hair too.  He calls him Fozzy.   I'll get my traps back from him soon.  So thankfully I only had 7 of the 11 to overnight and I returned them this morning.

One of the colony caretakers wants to fight with the city over the parking issue along there, for when I do trap.  Parks man left her a message back that I could only park there henceforth for a couple minutes.   This fired her up over the city not making things easy to solve issues while letting others, like the dog people who park along there and illegally let their dogs run and shit in the sports fields, scott free.  She's correct on that. But if someone who owned three  dogs called them to ask permission to park along that road so they could let their dogs free to run the sports fields, they'd get the answer told what for.   There's a dfference however, with the purpose of the parking need.  A big huge difference.

 She was kind to try.  She wanted to go complain to city council.  I told her to just forget it, that the city and most government entities, make things tougher to solve, often impossible, or even make things worse, that I like to just get things done and if need be, preferably even, in the dark, just me and the cats.   Often involving government, means death to the cats or unbelievable restrictions and just weird unhelpful shit.

I told her to let it go.   For the cats' sake.  It got done regardless.

Here's, for the records, the photos of the 11 cats fixed yesterday.   I don't get records at FCCO, only the caretaker does, so I have no idea the sex of several of them and she only got emailed records for one cat.   Its' frustrating to not know if I caught the adult females or not.   

Male.  Mr. Blue Eyes.

Sex Unknown

sex unknown

Sex Unknown

Sex unknown

Fozzy--male.

Mr. Problematic--male.

Female

Female

Male

Tabby on white, sex unknown

Met up with a Lebanon woman who took up 12 after dropping off the cats at the clinic and we walked in the Tualatin Wildlife Refuge for awhile.  She's over 25 years younger than I am.  Makes me feel so old.

Happy to have them all returned and be free to relax now and hope I get the replacement garbage cart or its going to get bad around here.  When I call them, before they hang up the rep says "thank you for choosing" and then gives their company name.  Like we have any choice around here.  They're the only option.  That cart is almost 17 years old and I can't believe they last so long, doing all the work they do.

I just looked out and my new cart is out at the curb.  Yahoo!


14 comments:

  1. So glad you got the new cart. That would have been a mess if you had to deal with that any longer. Glad they replaced it easily.

    Someone needs to tell the city that if you can't park along there to trap cats, they're going to have a much bigger cat problem than they do already. But you're probably right--they'd just make things worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they would make it worse I have no doubt.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that you're back in the trash business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice that the lady was trying to help you with your parking for trapping. I don't quite understand the situation, but I assume there is some kind of safety issue with parking along the side of the road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The no parking signs went up after they put in an expensive turf sports field for soccor across the road from the ditch. They don't want a zillion soccor mom cars trying to park off the two lane road along the ditch during kids sports games.

      Delete
  4. I learned that from my mom back in the 40's! (Here's the church...) Again, my admiration for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned that (Here's the church) from my mom, back in the 40's. Again, my admiration for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is expensive. Maybe not those with 6 figure income or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding and getting crazier expensive (some things).

      Delete
  7. I completely imagined the parking zone being caused by sports. Ugh... Thank you for striving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the sports field addition changed everything for everyone else. They always do and the city seems amazed sometimes that so many people don't care for the fields, that really serve only a tiny group of people.

      Delete
    2. We don't have parks here for the average nature lover who wants to see some natural areas with trails and get away from the traffic, concrete, noise. I lived in Corvalis many many years and there was no shortage of such parks there. Once I moved here, I became much more of a couch potato. The parks as they call them are manicured lawn areas with maybe a bench and a childrens play structure. There are sports fields too galore. I don't think the city parks department understands that there are people like me out there. I don't know. It's a wasteland as far as I'm concerned of concrete and cars and if I want to get away to walk natural areas I have to drive quite a way.

      Delete

Three More, Like a Broken Record

 Do I sound like a broken record? Three more cats are up being fixed today.  I got last minute spots.  I'd not been to the colony before...