Sunday, January 28, 2024

Bored Cats

 You'd think it would be inside cats who are bored.   Around here, its the owned roaming outside cats.

I'm not sure who owns who.  No one on this block has outside free roaming cats including me.  But people do on the block behind me.   Many of them come into my yard and interact with my cats through the cat yard, even try to break into the cat yard.  Must look exciting or something.   It's not only cats who get bored in this winter weather.

Stevie has been around.   He hangs out mostly at the house behind me.  But they say he really belongs to the blue house people two houses from them.  All I know is Stevie is in my yard a whole lot and is the one who beat up Gigi, garage girl, badly two years back.   Gigi was owned by the people behind me but they stopped caring for her.  Now I do.

Stevie is neutered but he likes to fight.   He hangs out on my roof, and also under my eave atop the run that leads into the cat yard.  He's often sleeping there when it rains.  He also messes with my cats through the cat yard wire.   He sometimes tries to find an opening in and probably will succeed one of these days.

He's playing/fighting with Little Dragon, one of the Waterloo girls.   Little Dragon is rolled on her back, hoping to play with him.


I took this across the fence a year or more ago.  Stevie was hanging out the neighbors second floor window.  He's not their cat either.   You'd never know he didn't belong there or here or other places he frequents.  He makes himself at home.

Tamara messaged me Friday morning.   I knew her when she directed the Coos Bay Snipped clinic but she's been back in the valley for several years now.   She'd caught an unfixed wild boy when trying to catch one of her indoor cats who got outside.  She was seeking a way to get him fixed quickly.  I told her to call Alpine in Corvallis and see if they could do him and they did.   HCC, my nonprofit, paid the bill.   

It's nice to have an emergency place to get them in.


The park ranger recaught the female who had escaped his trap before.  Her teenage offspring are fixed since January 11.   Scraggles will be fixed tomorrow.  She really loves lounging in front of the heater out in the garage, in the trap, I discovered.   I picked her up yesterday at the Mill Heritage Site.  The ranger said the other mill cats had to move upstairs when the millrace flooded the lower level.   It's dry again now, he said.  I have six spots tomorrow.

Scraggles

Today it may not rain as much as the last two days.   That would be nice.  We're getting all this rain plus experiencing record highs.  I think it was 62 here yesterday.   I pick up five other cats today, if the people get them contained.  One is a prolific Albany female.  Then there are four in Lebanon.  

If I get all six for tomorrow and they're fixed that will be 18 cats fixed this month at four different places.

Here's Blondie out in the cat yard.   I took in Blondie, Cookie and Dagwood from an Albany lady who fed them outside but was about to be evicted if she kept feeding them since she had a bunch of cats also inside.   They all had bad giardia.  Dagwood tamed instantly and was adopted out in Portland but his sisters never quite came around.


And finally, the long version of Stevie and Little Dragon's interaction via video.



13 comments:

  1. It looks as if Stevie views your yard as an extension of his domain. I hope he doesn't cause too much trouble/damage when he finally finds his way in.
    Well done on all the cats you have succeeded in fixing this month. And indeed every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have cats who will not make his life, as an interloper, very pleasant. But....also have some who will welcome him in and treat him as family.

      Delete
  2. Stevie is quite a handsome fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a beautiful boy, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Cat, cats, everywhere a cat! You will never be out of a job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never be out of a job!!! That cracks me up for some reason.

      Delete
  4. You're not tempted to chase Stevie out of your yard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have multiple times, when he's being a bad boy, fighting with other owned free roamers. I lecture him too, while chasing him out. Doesn't seem to help a lot.

      Delete
  5. You're so amazing, my dear, in how you just keep on making a valuable difference despite obstacles. ~hugs~ And that video made me smile, the forward facing ears and tail lashings speak volumes. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of Stevie's issues I believe stem from jealousy. He wants to be owned and loved and his owners do not seem to give him much of anything he needs.

      Delete
    2. Awww... That's basically how we ended up with our darling Dandelion. That kitty is so happy now, despite some questionable antics involving Polly and Terra-Dactyl. Blessings, my dear.

      Delete
  6. 18 is an excellent number for January. I would guess that there's not as much to do outside in the winter, but the indoor cats never go outside, so life is not different. Cooler, but not much different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I guess 18 is pretty good for a January that included a week of ice and inability to get around much of the state. Yeah come summer, unless its in the 90 plus temp range, free roamers probably find more to do, more trouble to get themselves into than in the winter when they'd much rather be planted over a heat vent or in front of a fireplace.

      Delete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...